2018 New Hampshire Revised Statutes
Title LVI - Probate Courts and Decedents' Estates
Chapter 564-B - New Hampshire Trust Code
Section 564-B:8-816 - Specific Powers of Trustee.

    564-B:8-816 Specific Powers of Trustee. –
(a) Without limiting the authority conferred by RSA 564-B:8-815, a trustee may:
(1) collect trust property and accept or reject additions to the trust property from a settlor or any other person and trust property may be accepted from a settlor and retained even though it includes an asset in which the trustee is personally interested;
(2) acquire or sell property, for cash or on credit, at public or private sale, including acquiring an undivided interest in a trust asset in which the trustee, in any trust capacity, holds an undivided interest;
(3) exchange, partition, or otherwise change the character of trust property;
(4) deposit trust money in an account in a regulated financial-service institution;
(5) borrow money, with or without security, and mortgage or pledge trust property for a period within or extending beyond the duration of the trust;
(6) with respect to an interest in a proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, business trust, corporation, or other form of business or enterprise, continue the business or other enterprise and take any action that may be taken by shareholders, members, or property owners, including merging, dissolving, or otherwise changing the form of business organization or contributing additional capital;
(7) with respect to stocks or other securities, exercise the rights of an absolute owner, including the right to:
(A) vote, or give proxies to vote, with or without power of substitution, or enter into or continue a voting trust agreement;
(B) hold a security in the name of a nominee or in other form without disclosure of the trust so that title may pass by delivery;
(C) pay calls, assessments, and other sums chargeable or accruing against the securities, and sell or exercise stock subscription or conversion rights; and
(D) deposit the securities with a depositary or other regulated financial-service institution;
(8) with respect to an interest in real property, construct, or make ordinary or extraordinary repairs to, alterations to, or improvements in, buildings or other structures, demolish improvements, raze existing or erect new party walls or buildings, subdivide or develop land, dedicate land to public use or grant public or private easements, and make or vacate plats and adjust boundaries;
(9) enter into a lease for any purpose as lessor or lessee, including a lease or other arrangement for exploration and removal of natural resources, with or without the option to purchase or renew, for a period within or extending beyond the duration of the trust;
(10) grant an option involving a sale, lease, or other disposition of trust property or acquire an option for the acquisition of property, including an option exercisable beyond the duration of the trust, and exercise an option so acquired;
(11) insure the property of the trust against damage or loss and insure the trustee, the trustee's agents, and beneficiaries against liability arising from the administration of the trust;
(12) abandon or decline to administer property of no value or of insufficient value to justify its collection or continued administration;
(13) with respect to possible liability for violation of environmental law:
(A) inspect or investigate property the trustee holds or has been asked to hold, or property owned or operated by an organization in which the trustee holds or has been asked to hold an interest, for the purpose of determining the application of environmental law with respect to the property;
(B) take action to prevent, abate, or otherwise remedy any actual or potential violation of any environmental law affecting property held directly or indirectly by the trustee, whether taken before or after the assertion of a claim or the initiation of governmental enforcement;
(C) decline to accept property into trust or disclaim any power with respect to property that is or may be burdened with liability for violation of environmental law;
(D) compromise claims against the trust which may be asserted for an alleged violation of environmental law;
(E) pay the expense of any inspection, review, abatement, or remedial action to comply with environmental law; and
(F) comply with the environmental provisions of RSA 564-A:3-a;
(14) pay or contest any claim, settle a claim by or against the trust and release, in whole or in part, a claim belonging to the trust;
(15) pay taxes, assessments, compensation of the trustee and of employees and agents of the trust, and other expenses incurred in the administration of the trust;
(16) exercise elections with respect to federal, state, and local taxes;
(17) select a mode of payment under any employee benefit or retirement plan, annuity, or life insurance payable to the trustee, exercise rights thereunder, including exercise of the right to indemnification for expenses and against liabilities, and take appropriate action to collect the proceeds;
(18) make loans out of trust property, including loans to a beneficiary on terms and conditions the trustee considers to be fair and reasonable under the circumstances, and the trustee has a lien on future distributions for repayment of those loans;
(19) pledge trust property to guarantee loans made by others to the beneficiary;
(20) appoint a trustee to act in another jurisdiction with respect to trust property located in the other jurisdiction, confer upon the appointed trustee all of the powers and duties of the appointing trustee, require that the appointed trustee furnish security, and remove any trustee so appointed;
(21) pay an amount distributable to a beneficiary who is under a legal disability or who the trustee reasonably believes is incapacitated, by paying it directly to the beneficiary or applying it for the beneficiary's benefit, or by:
(A) paying it to the beneficiary's conservator or to the guardian of the beneficiary's estate;
(B) paying it to the beneficiary's custodian under the Uniform Transfers to Minors Act or custodial trustee under the Uniform Custodial Trust Act, and, for that purpose, creating a custodianship or custodial trust;
(C) if the trustee does not know of a conservator, guardian of the estate of the beneficiary, custodian, or custodial trustee, paying it to an adult relative or other person having legal or physical care or custody of the beneficiary, to be expended on the beneficiary's behalf; or
(D) managing it as a separate fund on the beneficiary's behalf, subject to the beneficiary's continuing right to withdraw the distribution;
(22) on distribution of trust property or the division or termination of a trust, make distributions in divided or undivided interests, allocate particular assets in proportionate or disproportionate shares, value the trust property for those purposes, and adjust for resulting differences in valuation;
(23) resolve a dispute concerning the interpretation of the trust or its administration by mediation, arbitration, or other procedure for alternative dispute resolution;
(24) prosecute or defend an action, claim, or judicial proceeding in any jurisdiction to protect trust property and the trustee in the performance of the trustee's duties;
(25) sign and deliver contracts and other instruments that are useful to achieve or facilitate the exercise of the trustee's powers;
(26) on termination of the trust, exercise the powers appropriate to wind up the administration of the trust and distribute the trust property to the persons entitled to it;
(27) employ persons, including attorneys, auditors, investment advisors, or agents, even if they are associated with the trustee, to advise or assist the trustee in the performance of the trustee's administrative duties and to act without independent investigation upon their recommendations;
(28) allocate items of income or expense to either trust income or principal, as provided by law, including creation of reserves out of income for depreciation, obsolescence, amortization, or for depletion in mineral or timber properties; and
(29) convert a trust into a unitrust as provided in RSA 564-C:1-106.
(b)(1) Without limiting the authority conveyed by RSA 564-B:8-815, a trustee of a charitable remainder trust may pay an amount distributable to a beneficiary who is financially disabled by paying that amount to a separate trust if under the terms of that separate trust, the trustee must administer those amounts on behalf of that beneficiary and, upon the beneficiary's death, must distribute the remaining trust property either to:
(A) the beneficiary's estate; or
(B) after reimbursing the state for any Medicaid benefits provided to the individual, in accordance with the exercise of the beneficiary's general power of appointment.
(2) For purposes of this paragraph, "charitable remainder trust" means a charitable remainder annuity trust within the meaning of section 664(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code or a charitable remainder unitrust within the meaning of section 664(d)(2) of the Internal Revenue Code.
(3) For the purposes of this paragraph "financially disabled" means financially disabled within the meaning of section 6511(h)(2)(A) of the Internal Revenue Code.
(c) Except as otherwise provided under the terms of the trust, a trustee shall have the discretionary power to reimburse the settlor for the portion of the settlor's income tax liability attributable to the trust under section 671 of the Internal Revenue Code or any similar tax law.
(d) An executor or other fiduciary administering a will has all powers conferred by this section unless limited in the will, subject to the fiduciary duties prescribed by the will or by other laws of this state.

Source. 2004, 130:1. 2005, 270:28-30, eff. Sept. 20, 2005. 2008, 374:29, eff. Sept. 9, 2008. 2014, 195:25, eff. July 1, 2014. 2015, 272:62, eff. July 27, 2015.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Hampshire may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.