2016 New Hampshire Revised Statutes
Section 188-G:3 - Surety Indemnification.

NH Rev Stat § 188-G:3 (2016) What's This?
    188-G:3 Surety Indemnification. – Before a license is issued or renewed, a school shall furnish surety indemnification as required in this section.
    I. A surety bond shall be provided by the school in an amount prescribed in this section. The obligation of the bond is that the school, its officers, agents, and employees shall faithfully perform the terms and conditions of contracts for tuition and other instructional fees entered into between the school and entity enrolling as students. The bond shall be issued by a company authorized to do business in the state of New Hampshire. The bond shall be issued in the name of the commission, and is to be used only for payment of a refund of tuition and instructional fees due to a student or potential student, and the expense of investigating and processing the claims.
    II. The amount of such bond shall be based on income from tuition at 10 percent of gross tuition, with a $10,000 minimum. If a school licensed under RSA 188-G:2 should fail to provide the services required in a contract with any entity, as determined by a court of competent jurisdiction, the bond shall be forfeited, and the proceeds distributed by the director in such manner as justice and the circumstances require.
    III. The bond company may not be relieved of liability on the bond unless it gives the school and the commission 90 days written notice of the company's intent to cancel the bond. If at any time the company that issued the bond cancels or discontinues the coverage, the school's license is revoked as a matter of law on the effective date of the cancellation or discontinuance of bond coverage, unless a replacement bond is obtained and provided to the commission.
    IV. For the purposes of this section the forms of indemnification other than a surety bond which may be furnished to the commission for licensure are the following:
       (a) An irrevocable letter of credit, maintained for the licensing period as a minimum, issued by a financial institution authorized to do business in New Hampshire in an amount to be determined by the commission with the commission designated as the beneficiary; or
       (b) A term deposit account held in the state treasury, payable to the commission, shall be held in trust for the benefit of students entitled thereto under this section. Said account shall be maintained for the licensing period as a minimum, in an amount determined by the commission. Any interest shall be paid annually to the appropriate school, unless the term deposit account is activated due to a school closing. Should the licensee for any reason, while not in default, discontinue operation, all moneys on deposit, including any interest, shall be released to the appropriate school subject to the approval of the commission.

Source. 2011, 224:150, eff. July 1, 2011. 2013, 187:3, eff. June 30, 2013.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Hampshire may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.