2006 New Hampshire Statutes - Section 137-H:6 Physician Responsibilities.

    I. An attending physician and any other physician under his direction or control, having in his possession his patient's living will, or having knowledge that such a duly executed document is part of the patient's record in the institution in which he is receiving care, or who has been notified of the existence of a declaration executed under this chapter, shall follow as closely as possible within the bounds of responsible medical practice, the dictates of said document. In addition, the attending physician or any other physician under his control or direction who becomes aware, pursuant to this section, of such a document shall, without delay, take the necessary steps to provide for written verification of the patient's terminal condition or permanently unconscious condition, so that the patient may be deemed to be a qualified patient under this chapter. However, if a physician, because of his personal beliefs or conscience, is unable to comply with the terms of the declaration, he or she shall forthwith so inform the patient or the patient's family. The qualified patient may, or the family of the qualified patient shall, then request that the case be referred to another physician.
    II. An attending physician who, because of personal beliefs or conscience, is unable to comply with the declaration pursuant to this chapter shall, without delay, make the necessary arrangements to effect the transfer of the qualified patient and the appropriate medical records that qualify said patient to another physician who has been chosen by the qualified patient or by the family of the qualified patient.
    III. Artificial nutrition and hydration shall not be withdrawn or withheld under this chapter unless there is a clear expression of such intent in the document.

Source. 1985, 157:1. 1991, 239:9, 10, eff. June 10, 1991.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Hampshire may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.