2021 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 388 - System of Public Instruction
NRS 388.14538 - Handle with Care Program: Establishment; notification of exposure of child to traumatic event or certain other events; training; regulations. [Effective January 1, 2020.]
1. The Director shall establish the Handle with Care Program within the Office for a Safe and Respectful Learning Environment. The Handle with Care Program must enable a law enforcement officer or agency to notify the Program when a child who may attend a public school is exposed to a traumatic event or other event that may affect his or her ability to succeed at school as described in NRS 289.840.
2. The Handle with Care Program must use the support center established for the SafeVoice Program and teams appointed pursuant to NRS 388.14553 or a similar program designated by a school district. The support center shall establish a separate hotline and any other appropriate method to allow a law enforcement officer or agency to provide the notification described in subsection 1.
3. Notification submitted by a law enforcement officer or employee of a law enforcement agency must include only identifying information about the child. Such information must include, to the extent that it is available, the name of the child, the grade and school where the child is enrolled and the date of birth of the child.
4. The notification may include basic information about the traumatic event if the law enforcement officer or employee reasonably believes that disclosing such information is in the best interest of the child or necessary for reasons related to school safety.
5. Upon receiving notification from a law enforcement officer or employee of a law enforcement agency, the support center shall determine whether the child attends a public school in this State. If so, the team appointed pursuant to NRS 388.14553 must be notified that the child has been exposed to a traumatic event.
6. The Director shall provide training regarding:
(a) The Handle with Care Program to law enforcement agencies and employees of law enforcement agencies that may respond to a traumatic event involving a child, the board of trustees of a school district, the governing body of a charter school and any other entity whose employees and volunteers the Director determines should receive training regarding the Program;
(b) The procedure for notifying the support center when a child who may attend a public school is exposed to a traumatic event or other event that may affect his or her ability to succeed at school and the information to include in the notification;
(c) Properly responding to notification received from the support center, including, without limitation, the manner in which to respond to notification through the Handle with Care Program, to each member of a team appointed pursuant to NRS 388.14553; and
(d) Collaboration with teachers and other members of the staff of a school, pupils, family members of pupils and other persons, as appropriate, to reduce the negative impact of the traumatic event on the affected pupil and appropriate interventions that may be available to assist the pupil.
7. The State Board shall adopt regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of this section.
(Added to NRS by 2019, 3966, effective January 1, 2020)