2017 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 453D - Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana
NRS 453D.030 - Definitions. [This section was proposed by an initiative petition and approved by the voters at the 2016 General Election and therefore is not subject to legislative amendment or repeal until after November 22, 2019.]
1. “Community facility” means a facility licensed to provide day care to children, a public park, a public playground, a public swimming pool, a center or facility the primary purpose of which is to provide recreational opportunities or services to children or adolescents, or a church, synagogue, or other building, structure, or place used for religious worship or other religious purpose.
2. “Concentrated marijuana” means the separated resin, whether crude or purified, obtained from marijuana.
3. “Consumer” means a person who is 21 years of age or older who purchases marijuana or marijuana products for use by persons 21 years of age or older, but not for resale to others.
4. “Department” means the Department of Taxation.
5. “Dual licensee” means a person or group of persons who possess a current, valid registration certificate to operate a medical marijuana establishment pursuant to chapter 453A of NRS and a license to operate a marijuana establishment under this chapter.
6. “Excluded felony offense” means a conviction of an offense that would constitute a category A felony if committed in Nevada or convictions for two or more offenses that would constitute felonies if committed in Nevada. “Excluded felony offense” does not include:
(a) A criminal offense for which the sentence, including any term of probation, incarceration, or supervised release, was completed more than 10 years ago; or
(b) An offense involving conduct that would be immune from arrest, prosecution, or penalty pursuant to chapter 453A of NRS, except that the conduct occurred before the effective date of chapter 453A of NRS (October 1, 2001), or was prosecuted by an authority other than the State of Nevada.
7. “Locality” means a city or town, or, in reference to a location outside the boundaries of a city or town, a county.
8. “Marijuana” means all parts of any plant of the genus Cannabis, whether growing or not, the seeds thereof, the resin extracted from any part of the plant, and every compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the plant, its seeds, or resin. “Marijuana” does not include:
(a) The mature stems of the plant, fiber produced from the stems, oil, or cake made from the seeds of the plant, any other compound, manufacture, salt, derivative, mixture, or preparation of the mature stems (except the resin extracted therefrom), fiber, oil, or cake, the sterilized seed of the plant which is incapable of germination; or
(b) The weight of any other ingredient combined with marijuana to prepare topical or oral administrations, food, drink, or other products.
9. “Marijuana cultivation facility” means an entity licensed to cultivate, process, and package marijuana, to have marijuana tested by a marijuana testing facility, and to sell marijuana to retail marijuana stores, to marijuana product manufacturing facilities, and to other marijuana cultivation facilities, but not to consumers.
10. “Marijuana distributor” means an entity licensed to transport marijuana from a marijuana establishment to another marijuana establishment.
11. “Marijuana establishment” means a marijuana cultivation facility, a marijuana testing facility, a marijuana product manufacturing facility, a marijuana distributor, or a retail marijuana store.
12. “Marijuana product manufacturing facility” means an entity licensed to purchase marijuana, manufacture, process, and package marijuana and marijuana products, and sell marijuana and marijuana products to other marijuana product manufacturing facilities and to retail marijuana stores, but not to consumers.
13. “Marijuana products” means products comprised of marijuana or concentrated marijuana and other ingredients that are intended for use or consumption, such as, but not limited to, edible products, ointments, and tinctures.
14. “Marijuana paraphernalia” means any equipment, products, and materials of any kind which are used, intended for use, or designed for use in planting, propagating, cultivating, growing, harvesting, manufacturing, compounding, converting, producing, preparing, testing, analyzing, packaging, repacking, storing, or containing marijuana, or for ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing marijuana into the human body.
15. “Marijuana testing facility” means an entity licensed to test marijuana and marijuana products, including for potency and contaminants.
16. “Process” means to harvest, dry, cure, trim, and separate parts of the marijuana plant by manual or mechanical means, such as sieving or ice water separation, but not by chemical extraction or chemical synthesis.
17. “Public place” means an area to which the public is invited or in which the public is permitted regardless of age. “Public place” does not include a retail marijuana store.
18. “Retail marijuana store” means an entity licensed to purchase marijuana from marijuana cultivation facilities, to purchase marijuana and marijuana products from marijuana product manufacturing facilities and retail marijuana stores, and to sell marijuana and marijuana products to consumers.
19. “Unreasonably impracticable” means that the measures necessary to comply with the regulations require such a high investment of risk, money, time, or any other resource or asset that the operation of a marijuana establishment is not worthy of being carried out in practice by a reasonably prudent businessperson.
(Added to NRS by 2016 initiative petition, Ballot Question No. 2)