2017 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 388 - System of Public Instruction
NRS 388.253 - Department: Development of model plan for management of crisis or emergency; requirements for model plan; authorized dissemination of plans prepared by Department and development committee; annual review and update of model plan.
1. The Department shall, with assistance from other state agencies, including, without limitation, the Division of Emergency Management, the Investigation Division, and the Nevada Highway Patrol Division of the Department of Public Safety, develop a model plan for the management of a crisis or an emergency that involves a public school, including, without limitation, a charter school, or a private school and that requires immediate action. The model plan must include, without limitation, a procedure for:
(a) Coordinating the resources of local, state and federal agencies, officers and employees, as appropriate;
(b) Accounting for all persons within a school;
(c) Assisting persons within a school in a school district, a charter school or a private school to communicate with each other;
(d) Assisting persons within a school in a school district, a charter school or a private school to communicate with persons located outside the school, including, without limitation, relatives of pupils and relatives of employees of such a school, the news media and persons from local, state or federal agencies that are responding to a crisis or an emergency;
(e) Assisting pupils of a school in the school district, a charter school or a private school, employees of such a school and relatives of such pupils and employees to move safely within and away from the school, including, without limitation, a procedure for evacuating the school and a procedure for securing the school;
(f) Reunifying a pupil with his or her parent or legal guardian;
(g) Providing any necessary medical assistance;
(h) Recovering from a crisis or an emergency;
(i) Carrying out a lockdown at a school in which persons are not allowed to enter or exit the school;
(j) Providing shelter in specific areas of a school; and
(k) Providing specific information relating to managing a crisis or an emergency that is a result of:
(1) An incident involving hazardous materials;
(2) An incident involving mass casualties;
(3) An incident involving an active shooter;
(4) An outbreak of disease;
(5) Any threat or hazard identified in the hazard mitigation plan of the county in which the school district is located, if such a plan exists; or
(6) Any other situation, threat or hazard deemed appropriate.
2. In developing the model plan, the Department shall consider the plans developed pursuant to NRS 388.243 and 394.1687 and updated pursuant to NRS 388.245 and 394.1688.
3. The Department may disseminate to any appropriate local, state or federal agency, officer or employee, as the Department determines is necessary:
(a) The model plan developed by the Department pursuant to subsection 1;
(b) A plan developed pursuant to NRS 388.243 or updated pursuant to NRS 388.245;
(c) A plan developed pursuant to NRS 394.1687 or updated pursuant to NRS 394.1688; and
(d) A deviation approved pursuant to NRS 388.251 or 394.1692.
4. The Department shall, at least once each year, review and update as appropriate the model plan developed pursuant to subsection 1.
(Added to NRS by 2001, 1327; A 2011, 1077; 2015, 201) — (Substituted in revision for NRS 392.640)