2013 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 90 - Securities (Uniform Act)
NRS 90.530 - Exempt transactions.
The following transactions are exempt from NRS 90.460 and 90.560:
1. An isolated nonissuer transaction, whether or not effected through a broker-dealer.
2. A nonissuer transaction in an outstanding security if the issuer of the security has a class of securities subject to registration under section 12 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, 15 U.S.C. 78l, and has been subject to the reporting requirements of section 13 or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, 15 U.S.C. 78m and 78o(d), for not less than 90 days next preceding the transaction, or has filed and maintained with the Administrator for not less than 90 days preceding the transaction information, in such form as the Administrator, by regulation, specifies, substantially comparable to the information the issuer would be required to file under section 12(b) or 12(g) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, 15 U.S.C. 78l(b) and 78l(g), were the issuer to have a class of its securities registered under section 12 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, 15 U.S.C. 78l, and paid a fee of $300 with the filing.
3. A nonissuer transaction by a sales representative licensed in this State, in an outstanding security if:
(a) The security is sold at a price reasonably related to the current market price of the security at the time of the transaction;
(b) The security does not constitute all or part of an unsold allotment to, or subscription or participation by, a broker-dealer as an underwriter of the security;
(c) At the time of the transaction, a recognized securities manual designated by the Administrator by regulation or order contains the names of the issuer s officers and directors, a statement of the financial condition of the issuer as of a date within the preceding 18 months, and a statement of income or operations for each of the last 2 years next preceding the date of the statement of financial condition, or for the period as of the date of the statement of financial condition if the period of existence is less than 2 years;
(d) The issuer of the security has not undergone a major reorganization, merger or acquisition within the preceding 30 days which is not reflected in the information contained in the manual; and
(e) At the time of the transaction, the issuer of the security has a class of equity security listed on the New York Stock Exchange, American Stock Exchange or other exchange designated by the Administrator, or on the National Market System of the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated Quotation System. The requirements of this paragraph do not apply if:
(1) The security has been outstanding for at least 180 days;
(2) The issuer of the security is actually engaged in business and is not developing the issuer s business, in bankruptcy or in receivership; and
(3) The issuer of the security has been in continuous operation for at least 5 years.
4. A nonissuer transaction in a security that has a fixed maturity or a fixed interest or dividend provision if there has been no default during the current fiscal year or within the 3 preceding years, or during the existence of the issuer, and any predecessors if less than 3 years, in the payment of principal, interest or dividends on the security.
5. A nonissuer transaction effected by or through a registered broker-dealer pursuant to an unsolicited order or offer to purchase.
6. A transaction between the issuer or other person on whose behalf the offering of a security is made and an underwriter, or a transaction among underwriters.
7. A transaction in a bond or other evidence of indebtedness secured by a real estate mortgage, deed of trust, personal property security agreement, or by an agreement for the sale of real estate or personal property, if the entire mortgage, deed of trust or agreement, together with all the bonds or other evidences of indebtedness secured thereby, is offered and sold as a unit.
8. A transaction by an executor, administrator, sheriff, marshal, receiver, trustee in bankruptcy, guardian or conservator.
9. A transaction executed by a bona fide secured party without the purpose of evading this chapter.
10. An offer to sell or the sale of a security to a financial or institutional investor or to a broker-dealer.
11. Except as otherwise provided in this subsection, a transaction pursuant to an offer to sell securities of an issuer if:
(a) The transaction is part of an issue in which there are not more than 25 purchasers in this State, other than those designated in subsection 10, during any 12 consecutive months;
(b) No general solicitation or general advertising is used in connection with the offer to sell or sale of the securities;
(c) No commission or other similar compensation is paid or given, directly or indirectly, to a person, other than a broker-dealer licensed or not required to be licensed under this chapter, for soliciting a prospective purchaser in this State; and
(d) One of the following conditions is satisfied:
(1) The seller reasonably believes that all the purchasers in this State, other than those designated in subsection 10, are purchasing for investment; or
(2) Immediately before and immediately after the transaction, the issuer reasonably believes that the securities of the issuer are held by 50 or fewer beneficial owners, other than those designated in subsection 10, and the transaction is part of an aggregate offering that does not exceed $500,000 during any 12 consecutive months.
The Administrator by rule or order as to a security or transaction or a type of security or transaction may withdraw or further condition the exemption set forth in this subsection or waive one or more of the conditions of the exemption.
12. An offer to sell or sale of a preorganization certificate or subscription if:
(a) No commission or other similar compensation is paid or given, directly or indirectly, for soliciting a prospective subscriber;
(b) No public advertising or general solicitation is used in connection with the offer to sell or sale;
(c) The number of offers does not exceed 50;
(d) The number of subscribers does not exceed 10; and
(e) No payment is made by a subscriber.
13. An offer to sell or sale of a preorganization certificate or subscription issued in connection with the organization of a depository institution if that organization is under the supervision of an official or agency of a state or of the United States which has and exercises the authority to regulate and supervise the organization of the depository institution. For the purpose of this subsection, under the supervision of an official or agency means that the official or agency by law has authority to require disclosures to prospective investors similar to those required under NRS 90.490, impound proceeds from the sale of a preorganization certificate or subscription until organization of the depository institution is completed, and require refund to investors if the depository institution does not obtain a grant of authority from the appropriate official or agency.
14. A transaction pursuant to an offer to sell to existing security holders of the issuer, including persons who at the time of the transaction are holders of transferable warrants exercisable within not more than 90 days after their issuance, convertible securities or nontransferable warrants, if:
(a) No commission or other similar compensation, other than a standby commission, is paid or given, directly or indirectly, for soliciting a security holder in this State; or
(b) The issuer first files a notice specifying the terms of the offer to sell, together with a nonrefundable fee of $300, and the Administrator does not by order disallow the exemption within the next 5 full business days.
15. A transaction involving an offer to sell, but not a sale, of a security not exempt from registration under the Securities Act of 1933, 15 U.S.C. 77a et seq., if:
(a) A registration or offering statement or similar record as required under the Securities Act of 1933, 15 U.S.C. 77a et seq., has been filed, but is not effective;
(b) A registration statement, if required, has been filed under this chapter, but is not effective; and
(c) No order denying, suspending or revoking the effectiveness of registration, of which the offeror is aware, has been entered by the Administrator or the Securities and Exchange Commission, and no examination or public proceeding that may culminate in that kind of order is known by the offeror to be pending.
16. A transaction involving an offer to sell, but not a sale, of a security exempt from registration under the Securities Act of 1933, 15 U.S.C. 77a et seq., if:
(a) A registration statement has been filed under this chapter, but is not effective; and
(b) No order denying, suspending or revoking the effectiveness of registration, of which the offeror is aware, has been entered by the Administrator and no examination or public proceeding that may culminate in that kind of order is known by the offeror to be pending.
17. A transaction involving the distribution of the securities of an issuer to the security holders of another person in connection with a merger, consolidation, exchange of securities, sale of assets or other reorganization to which the issuer, or its parent or subsidiary, and the other person, or its parent or subsidiary, are parties, if:
(a) The securities to be distributed are registered under the Securities Act of 1933, 15 U.S.C. 77a et seq., before the consummation of the transaction; or
(b) The securities to be distributed are not required to be registered under the Securities Act of 1933, 15 U.S.C. 77a et seq., written notice of the transaction and a copy of the materials, if any, by which approval of the transaction will be solicited, together with a nonrefundable fee of $300, are given to the Administrator at least 10 days before the consummation of the transaction and the Administrator does not, by order, disallow the exemption within the next 10 days.
18. A transaction involving the offer to sell or sale of one or more promissory notes each of which is directly secured by a first lien on a single parcel of real estate, or a transaction involving the offer to sell or sale of participation interests in the notes if the notes and participation interests are originated by a depository institution and are offered and sold subject to the following conditions:
(a) The minimum aggregate sales price paid by each purchaser may not be less than $250,000;
(b) Each purchaser must pay cash either at the time of the sale or within 60 days after the sale; and
(c) Each purchaser may buy for the purchaser s own account only.
19. A transaction involving the offer to sell or sale of one or more promissory notes directly secured by a first lien on a single parcel of real estate or participating interests in the notes, if the notes and interests are originated by a mortgagee approved by the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development under sections 203 and 211 of the National Housing Act, 12 U.S.C. 1709 and 1715b, and are offered or sold, subject to the conditions specified in subsection 18, to a depository institution or insurance company, the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation, the Federal National Mortgage Association or the Government National Mortgage Association.
20. A transaction between any of the persons described in subsection 19 involving a nonassignable contract to buy or sell the securities described in subsection 18 if the contract is to be completed within 2 years and if:
(a) The seller of the securities pursuant to the contract is one of the parties described in subsection 18 or 19 who may originate securities;
(b) The purchaser of securities pursuant to a contract is any other person described in subsection 19; and
(c) The conditions described in subsection 18 are fulfilled.
21. A transaction involving one or more promissory notes secured by a lien on real estate, or participating interests in those notes, by:
(a) A mortgage banker licensed pursuant to chapter 645E of NRS to engage in those transactions; or
(b) A mortgage broker licensed pursuant to chapter 645B of NRS to engage in those transactions.
(Added to NRS by 1987, 2174; A 1989, 155; 1991, 603; 1999, 3803; 2003, 3171, 3571; 2003, 20th Special Session, 121)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nevada may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.