2013 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 90 - Securities (Uniform Act)
NRS 90.250 - Investment adviser defined.
Investment adviser means any person who, for compensation, engages in the business of advising others as to the value of securities or as to the advisability of investing in, purchasing or selling securities, or who, for compensation and as a part of a regular business, issues or promulgates analyses or reports concerning securities. The term does not include:
1. An employee of an adviser;
2. A depository institution;
3. A lawyer, accountant, engineer or teacher whose performance of investment advisory services is solely incidental to the practice of the person s profession;
4. A broker-dealer whose performance of investment advisory services is solely incidental to the conduct of business as a broker-dealer and who receives no special compensation for the investment advisory services;
5. A publisher, employee or columnist of a newspaper, news magazine or business or financial publication, or an owner, operator, producer or employee of a cable, radio or television network, station or production facility if, in either case, the financial or business news published or disseminated is made available to the general public and the content does not consist of rendering advice on the basis of the specific investment situation of each client;
6. A person whose advice, analyses or reports relate only to securities exempt under paragraph (a) of subsection 2 of NRS 90.520;
7. A family trust company or licensed family trust company or an employee or agent of a family trust company or licensed family trust company that is engaged in the business of a family trust company or licensed family trust company pursuant to chapter 669A of NRS, and that is exempt from registration as an investment adviser pursuant to the federal Investment Advisers Act of 1940; or
8. Any other person the Administrator by regulation or order designates.
(Added to NRS by 1987, 2150; A 1989, 160; 2011, 1817)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nevada may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.