2013 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 392 - Pupils
- NRS 392.010 - Admission of pupil from adjoining state or district; payment of tuition for pupil attending school in adjoining district or state; agreement for payment of tuition, transportation and other costs.
- NRS 392.015 - Admission of pupil from Indian reservation in school nearest pupil s residence; reimbursement for additional costs of transportation; exceptions.
- NRS 392.016 - Admission of pupil with lawfully issued fictitious address.
- NRS 392.017 - Regulations concerning school choice for pupils enrolled in persistently dangerous school and for pupils who are victims of violent offense while at school.
- NRS 392.018 - Written notice of certain courses, services and educational programs available to pupils within school district; posting at public schools; availability to parents.
- NRS 392.019 - Payment of tutoring or other educational services for child who is employed to work in entertainment industry.
- NRS 392.025 - Grade given to pupil by teacher: Restriction on change by board of trustees.
- NRS 392.029 - Compliance with federal law governing access and confidentiality of education records and elicitation of information concerning pupils; written notice of rights to parents and guardians required.
- NRS 392.033 - Regulations prescribing requirements for promotion to high school; effect of failure to comply; evaluation of course of study or credits of pupil who transfers from junior high or middle school; placement on academic probation; enrollment of homeschooled children in high school.
- NRS 392.035 - Formula for determining mobility of pupils in school; Department to distribute form for submitting information necessary to formula.
Compulsory and Excused Attendance; Retention
- NRS 392.040 - Attendance required for child between 7 and 18 years of age; minimum age required for kindergarten and first grade; waiver from attendance available for child 6 years of age; developmental screening test required to determine placement; effect of military transfer of parent of child.
- NRS 392.050 - Attendance excused for physical or medical condition; excused child with disability qualifies for free appropriate public education.
- NRS 392.060 - Attendance excused upon completion of 12 grades of elementary and high school.
- NRS 392.070 - Attendance excused for children in private school or homeschool; participation of private school children and homeschooled children in classes and extracurricular activities.
- NRS 392.075 - Attendance excused if permission granted to take high school equivalency assessment.
- NRS 392.080 - Attendance excused for distant residence from nearest school.
- NRS 392.110 - Attendance excused for child between 15 and 18 years of age who has completed eighth grade to enter employment or apprenticeship; written permit required.
- NRS 392.118 - Accounting of attendance and tardiness on report cards of pupils.
- NRS 392.122 - Minimum attendance requirements; school district authorized to exempt medical absences from requirements; notice and opportunity for parent to review absences before credit or promotion is denied; information to parents concerning duty to comply.
- NRS 392.123 - Written statement verifying pupil s compliance with minimum attendance requirements or determination of existence of hardship and best interests of pupil or pupil s family; submission of written statement or determination with application for driver s license; boards of trustees to prescribe standard form. [Effective January 1, 2015.]
- NRS 392.125 - Retention of pupil in same grade: Requirements; limitation; exception for charter schools.
Advisory Boards to Review School Attendance; Absence and Truancy; Administrative Sanctions
- NRS 392.126 - Creation of advisory board in each county; membership; terms; compensation.
- NRS 392.127 - Administrative support to advisory boards.
- NRS 392.128 - Duties of advisory boards; division into subcommittees; provision of assistance in conjunction with community service providers; use and accounting of available money by advisory board.
- NRS 392.129 - Establishment of school attendance councils; membership; duties; annual report.
- NRS 392.130 - Conditions under which pupil deemed truant; approval required for absence; notice of unapproved absence to parent; applicability.
- NRS 392.140 - Conditions under which pupil declared habitual truant; applicability.
- NRS 392.141 - Applicability of provisions to pupils. [Effective through December 31, 2014.]
- NRS 392.144 - Duties of school if pupil is truant; habitual truant must be reported to attendance officer or law enforcement or referred to advisory board. [Effective through December 31, 2014.]
- NRS 392.146 - Contents of written referral to advisory board; notice to parents or guardian.
- NRS 392.147 - Hearing by advisory board; written agreement for participation of pupil in certain programs; reporting of pupil to attendance officer or law enforcement agency under certain circumstances; confidentiality of information. [Effective through December 31, 2014.]
- NRS 392.148 - Administrative sanctions against habitual truant after investigation and hearing; suspension or delay in issuance of driver s license; appeal by parent or guardian. [Effective January 1, 2015.]
- NRS 392.149 - Issuance of citation to habitual truant; applicability.
- NRS 392.150 - Appointment of attendance officer authorized; procedures to monitor attendance and truancy; consideration of employment of attendance clerk.
- NRS 392.160 - Taking into custody child reported absent from school; persons or counseling agency to whom child may be delivered.
Birth Certificates and Records of Attendance; Name for Enrollment
- NRS 392.165 - Documents required for permanent enrollment; name under which child must be enrolled; notification to local law enforcement agency for failure to furnish documents.
- NRS 392.167 - Petition for court order permitting enrollment of child under name other than name appearing on birth certificate or other identifying document.
Enforcement and Penalties
- NRS 392.170 - Investigation of charges against parent, guardian or custodian of child; written report.
- NRS 392.180 - Criminal complaint by board of trustees of school district or governing body of charter school.
- NRS 392.190 - Criminal complaint by attendance officer.
- NRS 392.200 - Criminal complaint by taxpayer, school administrator or school officer.
- NRS 392.210 - Penalty for failure of parent, guardian or custodian of child to prevent subsequent truancy; limitation for providers of foster care.
- NRS 392.215 - False statement concerning age or attendance; false birth certificate or record of attendance; refusal to furnish documents; penalty.
- NRS 392.220 - Penalty for abetting truancy; unlawful employment of child absent from school; visitation of place of employment by school officer or attendance clerk to verify compliance.
CHILDREN WHO HAVE BEEN ADJUDICATED DELINQUENT FOR SEXUAL OFFENSE OR SEXUALLY MOTIVATED ACT
- NRS 392.251 - Definitions.
- NRS 392.254 - Notification defined.
- NRS 392.258 - Offender defined.
- NRS 392.2583 - Sexual offense defined.
- NRS 392.2587 - Sexually motivated act defined.
- NRS 392.261 - Victim defined.
- NRS 392.264 - Offender prohibited from attending school victim attends without court approval; duty of superintendent of school district to negotiate agreement for attendance in another school district; termination of agreement.
- NRS 392.268 - Reimbursement to school district for transportation costs incurred to send offender to school other than school victim attends.
- NRS 392.271 - Confidentiality of name of victim; immunity from liability if name released under certain circumstances.
- NRS 392.300 - Transportation for pupils may be furnished by trustees; regulations.
- NRS 392.320 - Use of certain money for procuring vehicles, drivers and insurance.
- NRS 392.330 - Transportation by common and private carrier; purchase of bus tickets for certain pupils; contracts and insurance.
- NRS 392.340 - No admission of liability for injury or death.
- NRS 392.350 - Payment to parents or guardian in lieu of furnishing transportation; conditions.
- NRS 392.360 - Transportation of children to and from activities and programs; use and supervision of vehicles; qualifications and restrictions for drivers.
- NRS 392.375 - School bus transportation: Drills to practice evacuation; adoption and requirements of safety program; information to parents and guardians concerning school bus safety; regulations.
- NRS 392.380 - Drivers: Qualifications; training course; annual test; employment of pupils.
- NRS 392.400 - Condition, equipment and specifications of vehicle used for transportation of pupils; inspection; exemption; penalties.
- NRS 392.405 - Standards for new school buses purchased by school district on and after January 1, 2016.
- NRS 392.410 - Equipment and identification of school bus; use of system of flashing red lights; compliance with standards; inspection; penalties.
SCHOOL UNIFORMS; HEALTH AND SAFETY
- NRS 392.415 - Authorization to establish policy of uniforms for pupils and dress code for educational personnel; financial assistance for pupils to purchase uniforms.
- NRS 392.420 - Physical examinations of pupils; representative sample of height and weight of pupils in certain school districts; qualifications of persons to conduct examinations; notice to parent of examination and opportunity for exemption; report of results to Chief Medical Officer. [Effective through June 30, 2015.]
- NRS 392.425 - Authorization for pupil to self-administer medication for asthma or anaphylaxis; contents of request; immunity from liability.
- NRS 392.430 - Sanitation and prevention of diseases: Authority of board of trustees of school districts and governing bodies of charter schools.
- NRS 392.435 - Immunization of pupils: Certificate prerequisite to enrollment; conditional enrollment; effect of military transfer of parent of child; consequences for failure to immunize; report to Division of Public and Behavioral Health; inclusion of certificate in pupil s record.
- NRS 392.437 - Immunization of pupils: Exemption if prohibited by religious belief.
- NRS 392.439 - Immunization of pupils: Exemption if prevented by medical condition.
- NRS 392.443 - Immunization of pupils: Additional requirements imposed after enrollment; additional certificate required.
- NRS 392.446 - Immunization of pupils: Protection of child exempt from immunization if dangerous disease exists in school.
- NRS 392.448 - Immunization of pupils: Penalty for refusal to remove child from school when required by law.
- NRS 392.450 - Drills to instruct pupils in appropriate procedures to be followed in event of emergency; posting of escape routes; enforcement; penalty.
- NRS 392.452 - Adoption of policy by school district for prevention and treatment of injuries to the head which may occur during participation in competitive sports; requirements of policy; annual acknowledgment of policy by parent and pupil.
- NRS 392.455 - Devices for protection of eyes required in certain classes.
PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT AND FAMILY ENGAGEMENT
- NRS 392.456 - Form for use in elementary schools concerning status of pupil and participation of parent; restrictions on use.
- NRS 392.457 - Adoption of policies by State Board and school districts concerning effective involvement and engagement; annual review of policies.
- NRS 392.4575 - Educational involvement accords; policy by school districts for development and distribution; annual review.
- NRS 392.4577 - Employer required to grant leave to parent to participate in school conferences and other school-related activities; conditions; exception.
BEHAVIOR AND DISCIPLINE
- NRS 392.461 - Code of honor relating to cheating; contents; distribution.
- NRS 392.463 - Adoption of plan to ensure public schools are safe and free of controlled substances; written rules of behavior and punishments; distribution of plan and rules to pupils; availability for inspection.
- NRS 392.4633 - Corporal punishment prohibited; report of violation; forwarding of complaint if determined to be substantiated.
- NRS 392.4635 - Policy for prohibition of activities of criminal gangs on school property.
- NRS 392.4637 - Policy concerning use and possession of pagers, cellular telephones and other electronic devices.
- NRS 392.4638 - Board of trustees authorized to adopt policy for pupils to report unlawful activity being conducted on school property, activity sponsored by public school or on school bus.
- NRS 392.464 - Adoption and enforcement by trustees of disciplinary measures for pupil in possession of alcoholic beverage or controlled substance on premises of school.
Temporary Alternative Placement
- NRS 392.4642 - Principal defined.
- NRS 392.4643 - Actions taken against pupils with disabilities.
- NRS 392.4644 - Plan for progressive discipline and on-site review of disciplinary decisions; annual review and revision of plan; posting and availability of plan; written reports by superintendent of schools, board of trustees and Superintendent of Public Instruction concerning compliance with section.
- NRS 392.4645 - Removal of pupil from classroom: Notice; assignment to temporary alternative placement; exceptions.
- NRS 392.4646 - Removal of pupil from classroom: Conference; recommendation of principal.
- NRS 392.4647 - Establishment of committee to review temporary alternative placement of pupils.
- NRS 392.4648 - Powers and duties of committee to review temporary alternative placement of pupils.
Habitual Disciplinary Problem; Suspension and Expulsion
- NRS 392.4655 - Conditions under which pupil deemed habitual disciplinary problem; plan of behavior to prevent pupil from being deemed habitual disciplinary problem.
- NRS 392.4657 - Conditions under which pupil deemed suspended.
- NRS 392.466 - Suspension or expulsion of pupil for battery on employee of school, possession of firearm or dangerous weapon, sale or distribution of controlled substance or status as habitual disciplinary problem; limitations for pupils with disabilities.
- NRS 392.467 - Suspension or expulsion of pupil: Procedure; limitation.
- NRS 392.4675 - Certain suspended or expelled pupils ineligible to attend public school; authority for school district or charter school to enroll ineligible pupil in alternative programs, independent study, distance education or charter school designated for pupils with disciplinary problems.
CRISIS AND EMERGENCY RESPONSE IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- NRS 392.600 - Definitions.
- NRS 392.604 - Crisis defined.
- NRS 392.608 - Development committee defined.
- NRS 392.609 - Emergency defined.
- NRS 392.610 - Local organization for emergency management defined.
- NRS 392.612 - School committee defined.
- NRS 392.616 - Development committee: Establishment by school districts and charter schools; membership; terms of members.
- NRS 392.620 - Development committee: Development of plan to be used by schools in responding to crisis or emergency; submission of plan to board of trustees or governing body of charter school; compliance with plan required.
- NRS 392.624 - Annual review and update of plan for responding to crisis or emergency; maintenance, posting and distribution of plan; annual training for school employees in responding to crisis or emergency; acceptance of gifts and grants.
- NRS 392.628 - School committee: Establishment; membership; terms of members.
- NRS 392.632 - School committee: Annual review of plan prepared by development committee; determination whether to request deviation from plan; notice of review.
- NRS 392.636 - Review by development committee of proposed deviation from plan; notice of approval or denial; submission of copy of approved deviation to board of trustees or governing body.
- NRS 392.640 - State Board: Development of plan for management of crisis or emergency; authorized dissemination of plan prepared by State Board or development committee.
- NRS 392.644 - State Board: Adoption of regulations concerning development of plans in responding to crisis or emergency, review of proposed deviations and requirements for training.
- NRS 392.648 - Duties of principal if crisis or emergency occurs at school; determination by local agency whether crisis or emergency requires assistance from state agency; duties of Division of Emergency Management of Department of Public Safety.
- NRS 392.652 - Confidentiality of plans, approved deviations and certain other information.
- NRS 392.656 - Inapplicability of Open Meeting Law to development committee, school committee and certain meetings of State Board related to crisis and emergency response.
- NRS 392.700 - Notice of intent to homeschool; release of child s records; participation in examinations; educational plan; discrimination prohibited.
- NRS 392.705 - Form for participation in programs and activities at public school or through Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association.
- NRS 392.850 - Provision of information to certain employees regarding unlawful conduct of pupil; immunity from liability under certain circumstances; confidentiality of information.
- NRS 392.855 - Policy for procedures to be followed by peace officers in arresting pupil on school grounds during school hours.
- NRS 392.860 - Employee of school district prohibited from disclosing certain information about status of pupil placed in foster home.
- NRS 392.900 - Interference with pupil attending school; penalty.
- NRS 392.910 - Disturbance of school; assaulting pupil or school employee; interference with persons peaceably assembled within school; penalties.
- NRS 392.915 - Threatening to cause bodily harm or death to pupil or school employee by means of oral, written or electronic communication; penalties.
- NRS 392.920 - Employer prohibited from threatening or taking retaliatory action against parent for parent s participation in certain school conferences and school-related activities; penalty; authorization for parent to file claim with Labor Commissioner.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nevada may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.