2013 Nevada Revised Statutes
Chapter 389 - Examinations, Courses, Standards and Graduation
NRS 389.167 - Credit toward graduation from high school for completion of public or private internship; duties of school district or charter school.
1. A pupil enrolled in grade 11 or 12 at a public school who is at least 16 years of age must be allowed to apply not more than one credit toward the total number of credits required for graduation from high school if the pupil successfully completes a public or private internship which has been approved pursuant to subsection 2 and which is of a duration of not less than 60 hours in a school year. The credit must be applied toward the pupil s elective course credits and not toward a course that is required for graduation from high school.
2. If the board of trustees of a school district or the governing body of a charter school obtains the approval of the State Board, the board of trustees or the governing body may authorize pupils enrolled in the school district or charter school who satisfy the qualifications prescribed pursuant to subparagraph (2) of paragraph (a) to participate in a public or private internship for the purpose of obtaining credit pursuant to subsection 1. If a board of trustees or governing body of a charter school authorizes the participation in a public or private internship, the board of trustees or governing body shall:
(1) The fields, trades or occupations in which a pupil may complete a public or private internship, including, without limitation, agriculture, medical and health sciences, manufacturing and construction;
(2) The qualifications of a pupil for participation in a public or private internship;
(3) The manner in which a qualified pupil must apply for participation in a public or private internship; and
(4) The manner for verifying that a pupil has completed the requisite number of hours to qualify for credit; and
(b) Establish and maintain a nonexclusive list of participating businesses, agencies and organizations which offer the employment and supervision of pupils for the purposes of obtaining academic credit in a public or private internship pursuant to this section.
(Added to NRS by 2013, 1006)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nevada may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.