2010 Nevada Code
Chapter 118A Landlord and Tenant: Dwellings
NRS 118A.460 Procedure for disposal of personal property abandoned or left on premises.

NRS 118A.460 Procedure for disposal of personal property abandoned or left on premises.

1. The landlord may dispose of personal property abandoned on the premises by a former tenant or left on the premises after eviction of the tenant without incurring civil or criminal liability in the following manner:

(a) The landlord shall reasonably provide for the safe storage of the property for 30 days after the abandonment or eviction or the end of the rental period and may charge and collect the reasonable and actual costs of inventory, moving and storage before releasing the property to the tenant or his or her authorized representative rightfully claiming the property within that period. The landlord is liable to the tenant only for the landlord's negligent or wrongful acts in storing the property.

(b) After the expiration of the 30-day period, the landlord may dispose of the property and recover his or her reasonable costs out of the property or the value thereof if the landlord has made reasonable efforts to locate the tenant, has notified the tenant in writing of his or her intention to dispose of the property and 14 days have elapsed since the notice was given to the tenant. The notice must be mailed to the tenant at the tenant's present address, and if that address is unknown, then at the tenant's last known address.

(c) Vehicles must be disposed of in the manner provided in chapter 487 of NRS for abandoned vehicles.

2. Any dispute relating to the amount of the costs claimed by the landlord pursuant to paragraph (a) of subsection 1 may be resolved using the procedure provided in subsection 7 of NRS 40.253.

(Added to NRS by 1977, 1341; A 1987, 1240; 1995, 1855)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nevada may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.