2017 Nebraska Revised Statutes
Chapter 46 - IRRIGATION AND REGULATION OF WATER
46-725 Management area; designation or modification of boundaries; adoption of action plan; considerations; procedures; order.
46-725. Management area; designation or modification of boundaries; adoption of action plan; considerations; procedures; order.
(1) When determining whether to designate or modify the boundaries of a management area or to require a district which has established a management area, a purpose of which is protection of water quality, to adopt an action plan for the affected area, the Director of Environmental Quality shall consider:
(a) Whether contamination of ground water has occurred or is likely to occur in the reasonably foreseeable future;
(b) Whether ground water users, including, but not limited to, domestic, municipal, industrial, and agricultural users, are experiencing or will experience within the foreseeable future substantial economic hardships as a direct result of current or reasonably anticipated activities which cause or contribute to contamination of ground water;
(c) Whether methods are available to stabilize or reduce the level of contamination;
(d) Whether, if a management area has been established which includes the affected area, the controls adopted by the district pursuant to section 46-739 as administered and enforced by the district are sufficient to address the ground water quality issues in the management area; and
(e) Administrative factors directly affecting the ability to implement and carry out regulatory activities.
(2) If the Director of Environmental Quality determines that no such area should be established, he or she shall issue an order declaring that no management area shall be designated.
(3) If the Director of Environmental Quality determines that a management area shall be established, that the boundaries of an existing management area shall be modified, or that the district shall be required to adopt an action plan, he or she shall consult with relevant state agencies and with the district or districts affected and determine the boundaries of the area, taking into account the effect on political subdivisions and the socioeconomic and administrative factors directly affecting the ability to implement and carry out local ground water management, control, and protection. The report by the Director of Environmental Quality shall include the specific reasons for the creation of the management area or the requirement of such an action plan and a full disclosure of the possible causes.
(4) When the boundaries of an area have been determined or modified, the Director of Environmental Quality shall issue an order designating the area as a management area, specifying the modified boundaries of the management area, or requiring such an action plan. Such an order shall include a geographic and stratigraphic definition of the area. Such order shall be published in the manner provided in section 46-744.
- Laws 1986, LB 894, § 6;
- Laws 1991, LB 51, § 10;
- Laws 1993, LB 3, § 19;
- R.S.1943, (1993), § 46-674.07;
- Laws 1996, LB 108, § 45;
- R.S.1943, (1998), § 46-656.39;
- Laws 2004, LB 962, § 65.