2017 Nebraska Revised Statutes
Chapter 28 - CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
28-632 Payment cards; terms, defined.
Payment cards; terms, defined.
For purposes of this section and sections 28-633 and 28-634:
(1) Merchant means an owner or operator of any retail mercantile establishment or any agent, employee, lessee, consignee, officer, director, franchisee, or independent contractor of such owner or operator. Merchant also includes a person who receives from an authorized user of a payment card, or someone the person believes to be an authorized user, a payment card or information from a payment card, or what the person believes to be a payment card or information from a payment card, as the instrument for obtaining, purchasing, or receiving goods, services, money, or anything else of value from the person;
(2) Payment card means a credit card, charge card, or debit card that is issued to an authorized card user and that allows the user to obtain, purchase, or receive goods, services, money, or anything else of value from a merchant;
(3) Person means an individual, firm, partnership, association, corporation, limited liability company, or other business entity;
(4) Reencoder means an electronic device that places encoded information from the magnetic strip or stripe of a payment card onto the magnetic strip or stripe of a different payment card; and
(5) Scanning device means a scanner, a reader, or any other electronic device that is used to access, read, scan, obtain, memorize, or store, temporarily or permanently, information encoded on the magnetic strip or stripe of a payment card.
- Laws 2002, LB 276, § 4.