2017 Nebraska Revised Statutes
Chapter 28 - CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
28-435.01 Health care facility; peer review organization or professional association; report required; contents; confidentiality; immunity; failure to report; civil penalty; disposition.
Health care facility; peer review organization or professional association; report required; contents; confidentiality; immunity; failure to report; civil penalty; disposition.
(1) A health care facility licensed under the Health Care Facility Licensure Act or a peer review organization or professional association relating to a profession regulated under the Uniform Controlled Substances Act shall report to the department, on a form and in the manner specified by the department, any facts known to the facility, organization, or association, including, but not limited to, the identity of the credential holder and consumer, when the facility, organization, or association:
(a) Has made payment due to adverse judgment, settlement, or award of a professional liability claim against it or a licensee, including settlements made prior to suit, arising out of the acts or omissions of the licensee; or
(b) Takes action adversely affecting the privileges or membership of a licensee in such facility, organization, or association due to alleged incompetence, professional negligence, unprofessional conduct, or physical, mental, or chemical impairment.
The report shall be made within thirty days after the date of the action or event.
(2) A report made to the department under this section shall be confidential. The facility, organization, association, or person making such report shall be completely immune from criminal or civil liability of any nature, whether direct or derivative, for filing a report or for disclosure of documents, records, or other information to the department under this section. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to require production of records protected by the Health Care Quality Improvement Act or section 25-12,123 or patient safety work product under the Patient Safety Improvement Act except as otherwise provided in either of such acts or such section.
(3) Any health care facility, peer review organization, or professional association that fails or neglects to make a report or provide information as required under this section is subject to a civil penalty of five hundred dollars for the first offense and a civil penalty of up to one thousand dollars for a subsequent offense. Any civil penalty collected under this subsection shall be remitted to the State Treasurer to be disposed of in accordance with Article VII, section 5, of the Constitution of Nebraska.
(4) For purposes of this section, the department shall accept reports made to it under the Nebraska Hospital-Medical Liability Act or in accordance with national practitioner data bank requirements of the federal Health Care Quality Improvement Act of 1986, as the act existed on January 1, 2007, and may require a supplemental report to the extent such reports do not contain the information required by the department.
- Laws 2007, LB463, § 1124;
- Laws 2011, LB431, § 11.
- Health Care Facility Licensure Act, see section 71-401.
- Health Care Quality Improvement Act, see section 71-7904.
- Nebraska Hospital-Medical Liability Act, see section 44-2855.
- Patient Safety Improvement Act, see section 71-8701.