2017 Nebraska Revised Statutes
28-1321 Maintaining a nuisance; penalty; abatement or removal.

Universal Citation: NE Code § 28-1321 (2017)


Maintaining a nuisance; penalty; abatement or removal.

(1) A person commits the offense of maintaining a nuisance if he erects, keeps up or continues and maintains any nuisance to the injury of any part of the citizens of this state.

(2) The erecting, continuing, using, or maintaining of any building, structure, or other place for the exercise of any trade, employment, manufacture, or other business which, by occasioning noxious exhalations, noisome or offensive smells, becomes injurious and dangerous to the health, comfort, or property of individuals or the public; the obstructing or impeding, without legal authority, of the passage of any navigable river, harbor, or collection of water; or the corrupting or rendering unwholesome or impure of any watercourse, stream, or water; or unlawfully diverting any such watercourse from its natural course or state to the injury or prejudice of others; and the obstructing or encumbering by fences, building, structures or otherwise of any of the public highways or streets or alleys of any city or village, shall be deemed nuisances.

(3) A person guilty of erecting, continuing, using, maintaining or causing any such nuisance shall be guilty of a violation of this section, and in every such case the offense shall be construed and held to have been committed in any county whose inhabitants are or have been injured or aggrieved thereby.

(4) Maintenance of nuisances is a Class III misdemeanor.

(5) The court, in case of conviction of such offense, shall order every such nuisance to be abated or removed.


  • Laws 1977, LB 38, ยง 305.

Cross References

  • Nebraska Right to Farm Act, see sections 2-4401 to 2-4404.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nebraska may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.