2012 Nebraska Revised Statutes
Chapter 44 - INSURANCE
44-2833 - Claim; agreement to settle; procedure; settlement; judgment; appeal.
(1) If the insurer of a health care provider shall agree to settle its liability on a claim against its insured by payment of its policy limits of five hundred thousand dollars and the claimant shall demand an amount in excess thereof for a complete and final release and if no other health care provider is involved, the procedures prescribed in this section shall be followed.
(2) A motion shall be filed by the claimant with the court in which the action is pending against the health care provider or, if no action is pending, the claimant shall file a complaint in one of the district courts of the State of Nebraska, seeking approval of an agreed settlement, if any, or demanding payment of damages from the Excess Liability Fund.
(3) A copy of such motion or complaint shall be served on the director, the health care provider, and the health care provider's insurer and shall contain sufficient information to inform the parties concerning the nature of the claim and the additional amount demanded. The health care provider and his or her insurer shall have a right to intervene and participate in the proceedings.
(4) The director, with the consent of the health care provider, may agree to a settlement with the claimant from the Excess Liability Fund. Either the director or the health care provider may file written objections to the payment of the amount demanded. The agreement or objections to the payment demanded shall be filed within twenty days after the motion or complaint is filed.
(5) After the motion or complaint, agreement, and objections, if any, have been filed, the judge shall set the matter for trial as soon as practicable. The court shall give notice of the trial to the claimant, the health care provider, and the director.
(6) At the trial, the director, the claimant, and the health care provider may introduce relevant evidence to enable the court to determine whether or not the settlement should be approved if it has been submitted on agreement without objections. If the director, the health care provider, and the claimant shall be unable to agree on the amount, if any, to be paid out of the Excess Liability Fund, the amount of claimant's damages, if any, in excess of the five hundred thousand dollars already paid by the insurer of the health care provider shall be determined at trial.
(7) The court shall determine the amount for which the fund is liable and render a finding and judgment accordingly. In approving a settlement or determining the amount, if any, to be paid from the Excess Liability Fund in such a case, the court shall consider the liability of the health care provider as admitted and established by evidence.
(8) Any settlement approved by the court may not be appealed. Any judgment of the court fixing damages recoverable in any such contested proceeding shall be appealable pursuant to the rules governing appeals in any other civil case.
- Laws 1976, LB 434, § 33;
Laws 1984, LB 692, § 14;
Laws 1986, LB 1005, § 6;
Laws 2002, LB 876, § 74;
Laws 2004, LB 998, § 8.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Nebraska may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.