2020 Montana Code Annotated
Title 50. Health and Safety
Chapter 20. Abortion
Part 5. Parental Consent for Abortion Act
50-20-503. Definitions. As used in this part, unless the context requires otherwise, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Coerce" means to restrain or dominate the choice of a minor by force, threat of force, or deprivation of food and shelter.
(2) "Consent" means a notarized written statement obtained on a form and executed in the manner prescribed by 50-20-505 that is signed by a parent or legal guardian of a minor and that declares that the minor intends to seek an abortion and that the parent or legal guardian of the minor consents to the abortion.
(3) "Emancipated minor" means a person under 18 years of age who is or has been married or who has been granted an order of limited emancipation by a court as provided in 41-1-503.
(4) "Medical emergency" means a condition that, on the basis of the good faith clinical judgment of a physician or physician assistant, so complicates the medical condition of a pregnant woman as to necessitate the immediate abortion of the woman's pregnancy to avert the woman's death or a condition for which a delay in treatment will create serious risk of substantial and irreversible impairment of a major bodily function.
(5) "Minor" means a pregnant female under 18 years of age who is not an emancipated minor.
(6) "Physical abuse" means any physical injury intentionally inflicted by a parent or legal guardian on a minor.
(7) "Physician" means a person licensed to practice medicine under Title 37, chapter 3.
(8) "Physician assistant" means a person licensed pursuant to Title 37, chapter 20, who provides medical services under the supervision of a physician.
(9) "Sexual abuse" has the meaning provided in 41-3-102.
History: En. Sec. 3, Ch. 307, L. 2013.