2019 Montana Code Annotated
Title 40. Family Law
Chapter 6. Parent and Child
Part 4. Montana Safe Haven Newborn Protection Act
40-6-402. Definitions. As used in this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Child-placing agency" means an agency licensed under Title 52, chapter 8, part 1.
(2) "Court" means a court of record in a competent jurisdiction and, in Montana, means a district court or a tribal court.
(3) "Department" means the department of public health and human services provided for in 2-15-2201.
(4) "Emergency services provider" means:
(a) a uniformed or otherwise identifiable employee of a fire department, hospital, or law enforcement agency when the individual is on duty inside the premises of the fire department, hospital, or law enforcement agency; or
(b) any law enforcement officer, as defined in 7-32-201, who is in uniform or is otherwise identifiable.
(5) "Fire department" means a governmental fire agency organized under Title 7, chapter 33.
(6) "Gross negligence" means conduct so reckless as to demonstrate a substantial lack of concern for whether an injury results.
(7) "Guardian ad litem" means a person appointed to represent a newborn under Title 41, chapter 3.
(8) "Hospital" has the meaning provided in 50-5-101.
(9) "Law enforcement agency" means a police department, a sheriff's office, a detention center as defined in 7-32-2241, or a correctional institution as defined in 45-2-101.
(10) "Newborn" means an infant who a physician reasonably believes to be no more than 30 days old.
(11) "Surrender" means to leave a newborn with an emergency services provider without expressing an intent to return for the newborn.
History: En. Sec. 2, Ch. 277, L. 2001; amd. Sec. 14, Ch. 36, L. 2005; amd. Sec. 8, Ch. 449, L. 2007.