2017 Montana Code Annotated
TITLE 30. TRADE AND COMMERCE
CHAPTER 19. RENTAL AND RENTAL-PURCHASE AGREEMENTS
Part 1. Montana Rental-Purchase Agreement Act
30-19-110. Information required in disclosure
30-19-110. Information required in disclosure. For each rental-purchase agreement, the lessor shall disclose the following items in the agreement:
(1) the total number, the amount, and the timing of all rental payments necessary to acquire ownership of the property;
(2) a statement that the consumer will not have an ownership interest in the property until the consumer has made the total number of rental payments necessary to acquire ownership;
(3) a statement that the consumer is responsible for the fair market value of the property if the property is lost, stolen, damaged, or destroyed;
(4) a brief description of the rented property sufficient to identify the property to the consumer and the lessor. The description of the rented property may include an identification number and must include a statement indicating whether the property is new or used. A lessor is not liable for a statement that inadvertently describes property as being used if the property is new.
(5) a brief description of any existing damage to the rental property;
(6) a statement of the cash price of the property. If the agreement involves the rental of more than one item as a set, in one agreement, a statement of the combined cash price of the items in the set may be stated.
(7) the total of the initial payments paid or required at or before consummation of the rental-purchase agreement or delivery of the property, whichever is later;
(8) (a) a statement that the total amount of the rental payment does not include taxes or other charges and fees, including but not limited to:
(i) late payment;
(v) liability damage waiver;
(vi) insurance; or
(vii) other charges or fees that are necessary and appropriate; and
(b) the charges and fees identified in subsection (8)(a), itemized separately;
(9) a statement informing the consumer that the consumer has the right to exercise an early purchase option;
(10) (a) a statement identifying the party responsible and a description of the responsibility for maintaining or servicing the property while it is being rented; and
(b) if the property is covered by a manufacturer's warranty, a notice that the warranty is transferred to the consumer if the consumer acquires ownership of the property and if the manufacturer's warranty allows for the transfer;
(11) the date of the transaction and the identities of the consumer and the lessor;
(12) a statement that the consumer may terminate the agreement without penalty by voluntarily surrendering or returning the property in good repair, except for ordinary wear and tear, on the expiration of any rental term agreement along with any past-due rent payments, if any; and
(13) notice of the right to reinstate an agreement as provided in 30-19-112.
History: En. Sec. 6, Ch. 263, L. 2001.