2005 Montana Code Annotated - 35-9-301 — Shareholder agreements.
35-9-301. Shareholder agreements. (1) All the shareholders of a statutory close corporation may agree in writing to regulate the exercise of the corporate powers and the management of the business and affairs of the corporation or the relationship among the shareholders of the corporation.
(2) An agreement authorized by this section is effective even though:
(a) it eliminates a board of directors;
(b) it restricts the discretion or powers of the board or authorizes director proxies or weighted voting rights;
(c) its effect is to treat the corporation as a partnership; or
(d) it creates a relationship among the shareholders or between the shareholders and the corporation that would otherwise be appropriate only among partners.
(3) If the corporation has a board of directors, an agreement authorized by this section restricting the discretion or powers of the board relieves directors of liability imposed by law and imposes that liability on each person in whom the board's discretion or power is vested to the extent that the discretion or powers of the board of directors are governed by the agreement.
(4) A provision eliminating a board of directors in an agreement authorized by this section is not effective unless the articles of incorporation contain a statement to that effect as required by 35-9-302.
(5) A provision entitling one or more shareholders to dissolve the corporation under 35-9-404 is effective only if a statement of this right is contained in the articles of incorporation.
(6) To amend an agreement authorized by this section, all the shareholders shall approve the amendment in writing unless the agreement provides otherwise.
(7) Subscribers for shares may act as shareholders with respect to an agreement authorized by this section if shares are not issued when the agreement was made.
(8) This section does not prohibit any other agreement between or among shareholders in a statutory close corporation.
History: En. Sec. 12, Ch. 432, L. 1987.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Montana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.