2005 Montana Code Annotated - 35-18-403 — Effect of merger or consolidation.
35-18-403. Effect of merger or consolidation. The effect of consolidation or merger shall be as follows:
(1) The several cooperatives parties to the consolidation or merger shall be a single cooperative which, in the case of a consolidation, shall be the new cooperative provided for in the articles of consolidation and, in the case of a merger, shall be that cooperative designated in the articles of merger as the surviving cooperative, and the separate existence of all cooperatives parties to the consolidation or merger, except the new or surviving cooperative, shall cease.
(2) Such new or surviving cooperative shall have all the rights, privileges, immunities, and powers and shall be subject to all the duties and liabilities of a cooperative organized under the provisions of this chapter and shall possess all the rights, privileges, immunities, and franchises, as well of a public as of a private nature, and all property, real and personal, applications for membership, all debts due on whatever account, and all other choses in action of each of the consolidating or merging cooperatives. Furthermore, all and every interest of or belonging or due to each of the cooperatives so consolidated or merged shall be taken and deemed to be transferred to and vested in such new or surviving cooperative without further act or deed, and the title to any real estate or any interest therein under the laws of this state vested in any such cooperative shall not revert or be in any way impaired by reason of such consolidation or merger.
(3) Such new or surviving cooperative shall thenceforth be responsible and liable for all of the liabilities and obligations of each of the cooperatives so consolidated or merged. Any claim existing or action or proceeding pending by or against any of such cooperatives may be prosecuted as if such consolidation or merger had not taken place, but such new or surviving cooperative may be substituted in its place.
(4) Neither the rights of creditors nor any liens upon the property of any of such cooperatives shall be impaired by such consolidation or merger.
(5) In the case of a consolidation, the articles of consolidation shall be deemed to be the articles of incorporation of the new cooperative. In the case of a merger, the articles of incorporation of the surviving cooperative shall be deemed to be amended to the extent, if any, that changes therein are provided for in the articles of merger.
History: En. Sec. 15, Ch. 172, L. 1939; R.C.M. 1947, 14-515.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Montana may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.