2018 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XXIII - Corporations, Associations and Partnerships
Chapter 354 - Health Services Corporations — Health Maintenance Organizations — Prepaid Dental Plans
Section 354.430 Evidence of coverage, requirements — rights of enrollee — toll-free telephone number required.
Effective 28 Aug 2013
Title XXIII CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPSChapter 354
354.430. Evidence of coverage, requirements — rights of enrollee — toll-free telephone number required. — 1. Every enrollee residing in this state is entitled to evidence of coverage. If the enrollee obtains coverage through an insurance policy or a contract issued by a health services corporation, whether by option or otherwise, the insurer or the health services corporation shall issue the evidence of coverage. Otherwise the health maintenance organization shall issue the evidence of coverage.
2. No evidence of coverage, or amendment thereto, shall be issued or delivered to any person in this state until a copy of the form of the evidence of coverage, or amendment thereto, has been filed with the director.
3. An evidence of coverage shall contain:
(1) No provisions or statements which are unjust, unfair, inequitable, misleading, or deceptive, or which encourage misrepresentation, or which are untrue, misleading, or deceptive as defined in subsection 1 of section 354.460; and
(2) A clear and complete statement, if a contract, or a reasonably complete summary, if a certificate, of:
(a) The health care services and the insurance or other benefits, if any, to which the enrollee is entitled;
(b) Any limitations on the services, kind of services, benefits or kinds of benefits to be provided, including any deductible or co-payment, coinsurance, or other cost-sharing feature as requested by the group contract holder or, in the case of nongroup coverage, the individual certificate holder;
(c) Where and in what manner information is available as to how services may be obtained;
(d) The total amount of payment for health care services and the indemnity or service benefits, if any, which the enrollee is obligated to pay with respect to individual contracts; and
(e) A clear and understandable description of the health maintenance organization's method for resolving enrollee complaints, including the health maintenance organization's toll-free customer service number and the department of insurance, financial institutions and professional registration's consumer complaint hot line number.
4. Any subsequent change in an evidence of coverage may be made in a separate document issued to the enrollee.
5. A copy of the form of the evidence of coverage to be used in this state, and any amendment thereto, shall be subject to the filing of subsection 2 of this section unless it is subject to the jurisdiction of the director under the laws governing health insurance or health services corporations, in which event the filing provisions of those laws shall apply.
(L. 1983 H.B. 127, A.L. 1997 H.B. 335, A.L. 2013 S.B. 262)