2018 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XXIII - Corporations, Associations and Partnerships
Chapter 348 - Authorities and Corporations for Economic and Technological Development — Small Businesses
Section 348.300 Definitions.
Effective 28 Nov 2007, see footnote
Title XXIII CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPSChapter 348
*348.300. Definitions. — As used in sections 348.300 to 348.318, the following terms mean:
(1) "Commercial activity located in Missouri", any research, development, prototype fabrication, and subsequent precommercialization activity, or any activity related thereto, conducted in Missouri for the purpose of producing a service or a product or process for manufacture, assembly or sale or developing a service based on such a product or process by any person, corporation, partnership, joint venture, unincorporated association, trust or other organization doing business in Missouri. Subsequent to January 1, 1999, a commercial activity located in Missouri shall mean only such activity that is located within a distressed community, as defined in section 135.530;
(2) "Follow-up capital", capital provided to a commercial activity located in Missouri in which a qualified fund has previously invested seed capital or start-up capital and which does not exceed ten times the amount of such seed and start-up capital;
(3) "Person", any individual, corporation, partnership, or other entity, including any charitable corporation which is exempt from federal income tax and whose Missouri unrelated business taxable income, if any, would be subject to the state income tax imposed under chapter 143;
(4) "Qualified contribution", cash contribution to a qualified fund;
(5) "Qualified economic development organization", any corporation organized under the provisions of chapter 355 which has as of January 1, 1991, obtained a contract with the department of economic development to operate an innovation center to promote, assist and coordinate the research and development of new services, products or processes in the state of Missouri; and the Missouri technology corporation organized pursuant to the provisions of sections 348.253 to 348.266;
(6) "Qualified fund", any corporation, partnership, joint venture, unincorporated association, trust or other organization which is established under the laws of Missouri after December 31, 1985, which meets all of the following requirements established by this subdivision. The fund shall have as its sole purpose and business the making of investments, of which at least ninety percent of the dollars invested shall be qualified investments. The fund shall enter into a contract with one or more qualified economic development organizations which shall entitle the qualified economic development organizations to receive not less than ten percent of all distributions of equity and dividends or other earnings of the fund. Such contracts shall require the qualified fund to transfer to the Missouri technology corporation organized pursuant to the provisions of sections 348.253 to 348.266 this interest and make corresponding distributions thereto in the event the qualified economic development organization holding such interest is dissolved or ceases to do business for a period of one year or more;
(7) "Qualified investment", any investment of seed capital, start-up capital, or follow-up capital in any commercial activity located in Missouri;
(8) "Seed capital", capital provided to a commercial activity located in Missouri for research, development and precommercialization activities to prove a concept for a new product or process or service, and for activities related thereto;
(9) "Start-up capital", capital provided to a commercial activity located in Missouri for use in preproduction product development or service development or initial marketing thereof, and for activities related thereto;
(10) "State tax liability", any state tax liability incurred by a taxpayer under the provisions of chapters 143, 147 and 148, exclusive of the provisions relating to the withholding of tax as provided for in sections 143.191 to 143.265 and related provisions;
(11) "Uninvested capital", the amount of any distribution, other than of earnings, by a qualified fund made within five years of the issuance of a certificate of tax credit as provided by sections 348.300 to 348.318; or the portion of all qualified contributions to a qualified fund which are not invested as qualified investments within five years of the issuance of a certificate of tax credit as provided by sections 348.300 to 348.318 to the extent that the amount not so invested exceeds ten percent of all such qualified contributions.
(L. 1986 S.B. 591 § 1, A.L. 1991 S.B. 185, A.L. 1993 H.B. 566, A.L. 1998 H.B. 1656, A.L. 2007 1st Ex. Sess. H.B. 1)
*Revisor's note: This section is reprinted in accordance with section 3.066. S.B. 7, First Extraordinary Session of the 96th General Assembly, 2011, amended this section. S.B. 7 was declared unconstitutional as a violation of the single subject requirement of Article III, Section 23, of the Missouri Constitution (see annotation above), rendering the repeal and reenactment of this section ineffective.