2018 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XXIII - Corporations, Associations and Partnerships
Chapter 348 - Authorities and Corporations for Economic and Technological Development — Small Businesses
Section 348.272 Centers for advanced technology may be established in university-affiliated research institutes — requirements, funding limitations — duties of department of economic development.
Effective 28 Aug 1993
Title XXIII CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPSChapter 348
348.272. Centers for advanced technology may be established in university-affiliated research institutes — requirements, funding limitations — duties of department of economic development. — 1. In order to encourage greater collaboration between private industry and the universities of this state in the development and application of new technologies, the director of the department of economic development is authorized to designate centers for advanced technology. Each center so designated shall conduct research in specific technological areas identified by the Missouri business modernization and technology corporation as having significant potential for economic growth in Missouri, or in which the application of new technologies could significantly enhance the productivity and stability of Missouri businesses. Such designations shall be made in accordance with the standards and criteria set forth in subsection 3 of this section. Centers so designated shall be eligible for support from the department of economic development in the manner provided for in subsection 4 of this section, and for such additional support as may otherwise be provided by law.
2. As used in this section, the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Applicant", a university or university-affiliated research institute, or a consortium of such institutions, which requests designation as a center in accordance with such requirements as are established by the corporation for this purpose;
(2) "Center for advanced technology" or "center", a university or university-affiliated research institute, or a consortium of such institutions, designated by the foundation, which conducts a continuing program of basic and applied research, development, and technology transfer in one or more technological areas, in collaboration with and through the support of private business and industry;
(3) "Corporation", the Missouri business modernization and technology corporation;
(4) "University", any institution of postsecondary education, including public and private universities, colleges, community colleges, vocational and technical schools, and other postsecondary institutions.
3. The corporation shall:
(1) Identify technological areas for which centers should be designated, including, but not limited to, technological areas that are related to industries with significant potential for economic growth and development in Missouri and technological areas that are related to the enhancement of productivity in various industries located in Missouri;
(2) Establish criteria that applicants must satisfy for designation as a center, including, but not limited to, the following:
(a) An established record of research, development and instruction in the area or areas of technology involved;
(b) The capacity to conduct research and development activities in collaboration with business and industry;
(c) The capacity to secure substantial private and other governmental funding for the proposed center;
(d) The ability and willingness to cooperate with other institutions in this state in conducting research and development activities, and in disseminating research results; and to work with technical and community colleges in this state to enhance the quality of technical education in the area or areas of technology involved;
(e) The ability and willingness to cooperate with the corporation, the department of economic development, and other economic development agencies in promoting the growth and development in Missouri of industries based upon or benefitting from the area or areas of technology involved;
(3) Establish such requirements as it deems appropriate for the format, content and filing of applications for designation as centers for advanced technology;
(4) Establish such procedures as it deems appropriate for the evaluation of applications for designation as centers for advanced technology, including the establishment of peer review panels composed of nationally recognized experts in the technological areas and industries to which the application is related.
4. From such funds as may be appropriated for this purpose by the general assembly, the department of economic development may provide financial support, through contracts or other means, to designated centers for advanced technology in order to enhance and accelerate the development of such centers. Funds received pursuant to this subsection may be used for the purchase of equipment and fixtures, employment of faculty and support staff, provision of graduate fellowships, and other purposes approved by the department of economic development, but may not be used for capital construction.
5. From such funds as may be appropriated for this purpose by the general assembly, the department of economic development may provide grants to any one university or university-affiliated research institution for purposes of planning and program development aimed at enabling such university or university-affiliated research institution to qualify for designation as a center. Such grants shall be awarded on a competitive basis, and shall be available only to those applicants which, in the judgment of the corporation and department of economic development, may reasonably be expected to be designated as centers.
(L. 1986 S.B. 426 § 5, A.L. 1989 H.B. 249 & 47, A.L. 1993 H.B. 566)