2018 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XXIII - Corporations, Associations and Partnerships
Chapter 348 - Authorities and Corporations for Economic and Technological Development — Small Businesses
Section 348.261 Powers.
Effective 28 Aug 1995
Title XXIII CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPSChapter 348
*348.261. Powers. — The corporation, after being certified by the governor as provided by section 348.251, may:
(1) Establish a statewide business modernization network to assist Missouri businesses in identifying ways to enhance productivity and market competitiveness;
(2) Identify scientific and technological problems and opportunities related to the economy of Missouri and formulate proposals to overcome those problems or realize those opportunities;
(3) Identify specific areas where scientific research and technological investigation will contribute to the improvement of productivity of Missouri manufacturers and farmers;
(4) Determine specific areas in which financial investment in scientific and technological research and development from private businesses located in Missouri could be enhanced or increased if state resources were made available to assist in financing activities;
(5) Assist in establishing cooperative associations of universities in Missouri and of private enterprises for the purpose of coordinating research and development programs that will, consistent with the primary educational function of the universities, aid in the creation of new jobs in Missouri;
(6) Assist in financing the establishment and continued development of technology-intensive businesses in Missouri;
(7) Advise universities of the research needs of Missouri business and improve the exchange of scientific and technological information for the mutual benefit of universities and private business;
(8) Coordinate programs established by universities to provide Missouri businesses with scientific and technological information;
(9) Establish programs in scientific education which will support the accelerated development of technology-intensive businesses in Missouri;
(10) Provide financial assistance through contracts, grants and loans to programs of scientific and technological research and development;
(11) Determine how public universities can increase income derived from the sale or licensure of products or processes having commercial value that are developed as a result of university sponsored research programs;
(12) Contract with innovation centers, as established in section 348.271, small business development corporations, as established in sections 620.1000 to 620.1007, centers for advanced technology, as established in section 348.272, and other entities or organizations for the provision of technology application, technology commercialization and technology development services. Such contracting procedures shall not be subject to the provisions of chapter 34; and
(13) Make direct seed capital or venture capital investments in Missouri business investment funds or businesses which demonstrate the promise of growth and job creation. Investments from the corporation may be in the form of debt or equity in the respective businesses.
(L. 1993 H.B. 566, A.L. 1994 H.B. 1248 & 1048, A.L. 1995 H.B. 574)
*Revisor's note: This section is reprinted in accordance with section 3.066. S.B. 7, First Extraordinary Session of the 96th General Assembly, 2011, amended this section. S.B. 7 was declared unconstitutional as a violation of the single subject requirement of Article III, Section 23, of the Missouri Constitution (see annotation above), rendering the repeal and reenactment of this section ineffective.