2017 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XXIII CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPS
Chapter 348 Authorities and Corporations for Economic and Technological Development — Small Businesses
Section 348.261 Powers — leveraging of nonstate resources — moneys, authority over — notice of financial assistance recipients to general assembly.
Effective 03 Feb 2012, see footnote
Title XXIII CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPSChapter 348
*348.261. Powers — leveraging of nonstate resources — moneys, authority over — notice of financial assistance recipients to general assembly. — 1. The corporation shall have all of the powers necessary or convenient to carry out the purposes and provisions of sections 348.250 to 348.275, including the powers as specified therein, and without limitation, the power to:
(1) Establish a statewide business modernization network to assist Missouri businesses in identifying ways to enhance productivity and market competitiveness;
(2) Identify scientific and technological problems and opportunities related to the economy of Missouri and formulate proposals to overcome those problems or realize those opportunities;
(3) Identify specific areas where scientific research and technological investigation will contribute to the improvement of productivity of Missouri manufacturers and farmers;
(4) Determine specific areas in which financial investment in scientific and technological research and development from private businesses located in Missouri could be enhanced or increased if state resources were made available to assist in financing activities;
(5) Assist in establishing cooperative associations of universities in Missouri and of private enterprises for the purpose of coordinating research and development programs that will, consistent with the primary educational function of the universities, aid in the creation of new jobs in Missouri;
(6) Assist in financing the establishment and continued development of technology-intensive businesses in Missouri;
(7) Advise universities of the research needs of Missouri business and improve the exchange of scientific and technological information for the mutual benefit of universities and private business;
(8) Coordinate programs established by universities to provide Missouri businesses with scientific and technological information;
(9) Establish programs in scientific education which will support the accelerated development of technology-intensive businesses in Missouri;
(10) Provide financial assistance through contracts, grants and loans to programs of scientific and technological research and development;
(11) Determine how public universities can increase income derived from the sale or licensure of products or processes having commercial value that are developed as a result of university sponsored research programs;
(12) Contract with innovation centers, as established in section 348.271, small business development corporations, as established in sections 620.1000 to 620.1007, centers for advanced technology, as established in section 348.272, and other entities or organizations for the provision of technology application, technology commercialization and technology development services;
(13) Make direct seed capital or venture capital investments in Missouri business investment funds or businesses that demonstrate the promise of growth and job creation. Investments from the corporation may be in the form of debt or equity in the respective businesses;
(14) Make and execute contracts, guarantees, or any other instruments and agreements necessary or convenient for the exercise of its powers and functions;
(15) Contract for and to accept any gifts, grants, and loans of funds, property, or any other aid in any form from the federal government, the state, any state agency, or any other source, or any combination thereof, and to comply with the provisions of the terms and conditions thereof;
(16) Procure such insurance, participate in such insurance plans, or provide such self insurance or both as it deems necessary or convenient; provided, however, the purchase of insurance, participation in an insurance plan, or creation of a self-insurance fund by the corporation shall not be deemed as a waiver or relinquishment of any sovereign immunity to which the corporation or its officers, directors, employees, or agents are otherwise entitled;
(17) Partner with universities or other research institutions in Missouri to attract and recruit world-class science and innovation talent to Missouri;
(18) Expend any and all funds from the Missouri science and innovation reinvestment fund and all other assets and resources of the corporation for the exclusive purpose of fulfilling any purpose, power, or duty of the corporation under sections 348.250 to 348.275, including but not limited to implementing the powers, purposes, and duties of the corporation as enumerated in this section;
(19) Participate in joint ventures and collaborate with any taxpayer, governmental body or agency, insurer, university, or college of the state, or any other entity to facilitate any activities or programs consistent with the purpose and intent of sections 348.250 to 348.275; and
(20) In carrying out any activities authorized by sections 348.250 to 348.275, the corporation provides appropriate assistance, including the making of investments, grants, and loans, and providing time of employees, to any taxpayer, governmental body, or agency, insurer, university, or college of the state, or any other entity, whether or not any such taxpayer, governmental body or agency, insurer, university, or college of the state, or any other entity, is owned or controlled in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, by the corporation.
2. The corporation shall endeavor to maximize the amount of leveraging of nonstate resources, including public and private, cash and in-kind, attained with its investments, grants, loans, or other forms of support. In the case of investments, grants, loans, or other forms of support that emphasize or are specifically intended to impact a particular Missouri county, municipality, or other geographic subdivision of the state, or are otherwise local in nature, the corporation shall give consideration and weight to local matching funds and other matching resources, public and private.
3. Except as expressly provided in sections 348.250 to 348.275, all moneys earned or received by the corporation, including all funds derived from the commercialization of science and innovation products, methods, services, and technology by the corporation, or any affiliate or subsidiary thereof, or from the Missouri science and innovation reinvestment fund, shall belong exclusively to and be subject to the exclusive control of the corporation.
4. The corporation shall have all the powers of a not-for-profit corporation established under Missouri law.
5. The corporation shall assume all moneys, property, or other assets remaining with the Missouri seed capital investment board, established in section 620.641. All powers, duties, and functions performed by the Missouri seed capital investment board shall be transferred to the Missouri technology corporation.
6. The corporation shall not be subject to the provisions of chapter 34.
7. At least ten days prior to releasing funds to a recipient of financial assistance pursuant to the powers established in this section, the corporation shall submit to the president pro tem of the senate and the speaker of the house of representatives the name of the recipient of such assistance, and post such information on the corporation's website.
(L. 1993 H.B. 566, A.L. 1994 H.B. 1248 & 1048, A.L. 1995 H.B. 574, A.L. 2011 1st Ex. Sess. S.B. 7)
Contingent effective date, see § 348.280
*Revisor's note: This section was declared unconstitutional in Missouri Roundtable for Life, Inc. v. State, 396 S.W.3d 348 (Mo.banc).
(2013) Provisions of S.B. 7 from First Extraordinary Session in 2011 are unconstitutional; section B of act as codified in section 348.280 is a violation of the single subject requirement of Article III, Section 23 and remaining provisions of bill could not be severed. Missouri Roundtable for Life, Inc. v. State, 396 S.W.3d 348 (Mo.banc).