2017 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XI EDUCATION AND LIBRARIES
Chapter 167 Pupils and Special Services
Section 167.809 Diabetic care may be provided to students, when, trained personnel to be on site.
Effective 28 Aug 2013
Title XI EDUCATION AND LIBRARIESChapter 167
167.809. Diabetic care may be provided to students, when, trained personnel to be on site. — 1. The school board of each school district and the governing body of each charter school may provide all students with diabetes in the school or district appropriate and needed diabetes care as specified in their diabetes medical management plan. In accordance with the request of the parent or guardian of a student with diabetes and the student's diabetes medical management plan, the school nurse or, in the absence of the school nurse, trained diabetes care personnel may perform diabetes care functions including, but not limited to:
(1) Checking and recording blood glucose levels and ketone levels or assisting a student with such checking and recording;
(2) Responding to blood glucose levels that are outside of the student's target range;
(3) Administering glucagon and other emergency treatments as prescribed;
(4) Administering insulin or assisting a student in administering insulin through the insulin delivery system the student uses;
(5) Providing oral diabetes medications; and
(6) Following instructions regarding meals, snacks, and physical activity.
2. The school nurse or at least one of the trained diabetes care personnel may be on site and available to provide care to each student with diabetes as set forth in subsection 1 of this section during regular school hours and during all school-sponsored activities, including school-sponsored before-school and after-school care programs, field trips, extended off-site excursions, extracurricular activities, and on buses when the bus driver has not completed the necessary training.
(L. 2013 H.B. 675)