2017 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XI EDUCATION AND LIBRARIES
Chapter 167 Pupils and Special Services
Section 167.335 Alternative education grants — qualifications — joint applications.
Effective 28 Aug 1996
Title XI EDUCATION AND LIBRARIESChapter 167
167.335. Alternative education grants — qualifications — joint applications. — 1. The state board of education shall establish a program to award grants to school districts that apply for assistance in providing alternative educational opportunities for students whose demonstrated disruptive behavior indicates that they cannot be adequately served in the traditional classroom setting. The board shall solicit applications from school districts and shall make grants from funds appropriated for that purpose in such amounts and on such terms as it determines best encourages the development of alternative education programs throughout the state. The board shall give preference to applications that demonstrate a need for alternative education services and stress:
(1) A comprehensive, kindergarten through grade twelve approach to preventing problems that result in the need for alternative education services;
(2) Rigorous instruction in core academic disciplines;
(3) Activities designed to enable the student to better perform in the regular classroom and to transition students back to the regular classroom when merited by their performance;
(4) A student-centered approach whereby activities are designed to meet the particular needs of individual students; and
(5) Collaboration with existing community-based service providers, such as cooperative education programs, school to work programs, parents-as-teachers programs, programs developed by the department of economic development and programs developed by local service delivery agencies, and other governmental and private agencies to address student needs beyond those traditionally addressed by schools.
2. School districts may submit joint applications and are encouraged to pursue regional approaches to alternative education where warranted. Area vocational learning centers shall be eligible to submit applications and are encouraged to pursue grants to expand and enhance existing alternative education programs established pursuant to sections 167.320 to 167.332, provided that any additional activities are compatible with subdivisions (1) to (5) of subsection 1 of this section. The state board of education shall adopt rules necessary to implement the grant program established pursuant to this section, provided that no rule or portion of a rule promulgated pursuant to this section shall become effective unless it has been promulgated pursuant to the provisions of section 536.024.
(L. 1996 H.B. 1301 & 1298 § 6)