2017 Missouri Revised Statutes
Title XI EDUCATION AND LIBRARIES
Chapter 167 Pupils and Special Services
Section 167.194 Vision examination required, when — rulemaking authority — components of the examination — sunset provision.
Effective 28 Aug 2007, see footnote
Title XI EDUCATION AND LIBRARIESChapter 167
167.194. Vision examination required, when — rulemaking authority — components of the examination — sunset provision. — 1. Beginning July 1, 2008, every child enrolling in kindergarten or first grade in a public elementary school in this state shall receive one comprehensive vision examination performed by a state licensed optometrist or physician. Evidence of the examination shall be submitted to the school no later than January first of the first year in which the student is enrolled at the school, provided that the evidence submitted in no way violates any provisions of Public Law 104-191, 42 U.S.C. 201, et seq, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
2. The state board of education, in conjunction with the department of health and senior services, shall promulgate rules establishing the criteria for meeting the requirements of subsection 1 of this section, which may include, but are not limited to, forms or other proof of such examination, or other rules as are necessary for the enforcement of this section. The form or other proof of such examination shall include but not be limited to identifying the result of the examinations performed under subsection 4 of this section, the cost for the examination, the examiner's qualifications, and method of payment through either:
(2) The state Medicaid program;
(3) Complimentary; or
(4) Other form of payment.
3. The department of elementary and secondary education, in conjunction with the department of health and senior services, shall compile and maintain a list of sources to which children who may need vision examinations or children who have been found to need further examination or vision correction may be referred for treatment on a free or reduced-cost basis. The sources may include individuals, and federal, state, local government, and private programs. The department of elementary and secondary education shall ensure that the superintendent of schools, the principal of each elementary school, the school nurse or other person responsible for school health services, and the parent organization for each district elementary school receives an updated copy of the list each year prior to school opening. Professional and service organizations concerned with vision health may assist in gathering and disseminating the information, at the direction of the department of elementary and secondary education.
4. For purposes of this section, the following comprehensive vision examinations shall include but not be limited to:
(1) Complete case history;
(2) Visual acuity at distance (aided and unaided);
(3) External examination and internal examination (ophthalmoscopic examination);
(4) Subjective refraction to best visual acuity.
5. Findings from the evidence of examination shall be provided to the department of health and senior services and kept by the optometrist or physician for a period of seven years.
6. In the event that a parent or legal guardian of a child subject to this section shall submit to the appropriate school administrator a written request that the child be excused from taking a vision examination as provided in this section, that child shall be so excused.
7. Pursuant to section 23.253 of the Missouri sunset act:
(1) The provisions of the new program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset on June 30, 2012, unless reauthorized by an act of the general assembly; and
(2) If such program is reauthorized, the program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset eight years after the effective date of the reauthorization of this section; and
(3) This section shall terminate on September first of the calendar year immediately following the calendar year in which the program authorized under this section is sunset.
(L. 2007 S.B. 16)
Sunset date 6-30-12
Termination date 9-01-13