2015 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXXVIII CRIMES AND PUNISHMENT; PEACE OFFICERS AND PUBLIC DEFENDERS (556-600)
Chapter 574 Offenses Against Public Order
Section 574.085 Beginning January 1, 2017--Institutional vandalism--penalty.
574.085. 1. A person commits the offense of institutional vandalism if he or she knowingly vandalizes, defaces, or otherwise damages:
(1) Any church, synagogue or other building, structure or place used for religious worship or other religious purpose;
(2) Any cemetery, mortuary, military monument or other facility used for the purpose of burial or memorializing the dead;
(3) Any school, educational facility, community center, hospital or medical clinic owned and operated by a religious or sectarian group;
(4) The grounds adjacent to, and owned or rented by, any institution, facility, building, structure or place described in subdivision (1), (2), or (3) of this subsection;
(5) Any personal property contained in any institution, facility, building, structure or place described in subdivision (1), (2), or (3) of this subsection; or
(6) Any motor vehicle which is owned, operated, leased or under contract by a school district or a private school for the transportation of school children.
2. The offense of institutional vandalism is a class A misdemeanor, unless the value of the property damage is seven hundred fifty dollars or more, in which case the offense is a class E felony; or the value of the property damage is more than five thousand dollars, in which case the offense is a class D felony.
3. In determining the amount of damage to property, for purposes of this section, damage includes the cost of repair or, where necessary, replacement of the property that was damaged.
(L. 1988 S.B. 678 § 1, A.L. 1996 H.B. 1086 merged with H.B. 1301 & 1298, A.L. 2014 S.B. 491)
Civil action for damages or injunction, attorney's fees and costs may be awarded prevailing plaintiff, 537.523
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.