2014 Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 559 Probation
Section 559.604 Beginning January 1, 2017--Cost of misdemeanor probation to be paid by offenders, exceptions.

MO Rev Stat § 559.604 (2014) What's This?

559.604. Neither the state of Missouri nor any county of the state shall be required to pay any part of the cost of probation and rehabilitation services provided to misdemeanor offenders under sections 559.600 to 559.615. The person placed on probation shall contribute not less than thirty dollars or more than fifty dollars per month to the private entity providing him or her with supervision and rehabilitation services. The amount of the contribution shall be determined by the sentencing court. The court may exempt a person from all or part of the foregoing contribution if it finds any of the following factors to exist:

(1) The offender has diligently attempted, but has been unable, to obtain employment which provides him or her sufficient income to make such payments;

(2) The offender is a student in a school, college, university or course of vocational or technical training designed to fit the student for gainful employment. Certification of such student status shall be supplied to the court by the educational institution in which the offender is enrolled;

(3) The offender has an employment handicap, as determined by a physical, psychological or psychiatric examination acceptable to or ordered by the court;

(4) The offender's age prevents him or her from obtaining employment;

(5) The offender is responsible for the support of dependents, and the payment of such contribution constitutes an undue hardship on the offender;

(6) There are other extenuating circumstances as determined by the court to exempt or partially reduce such payments; or

(7) The offender has been transferred outside the state under an interstate compact adopted pursuant to law.

(L. 1992 S.B. 540 § 1 subsec. 3, A.L. 2014 S.B. 491)

Effective 1-01-17

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.