2012 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XII PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELFARE
Chapter 195 Drug Regulations
Section 195.015 Authority to control.
Authority to control.
195.015. 1. The department of health and senior services shall administer sections 195.005 to 195.425 and may add substances to the schedules after public notice and hearing. In making a determination regarding a substance, the department of health and senior services shall consider the following:
(1) The actual or relative potential for abuse;
(2) The scientific evidence of its pharmacological effect, if known;
(3) The state of current scientific knowledge regarding the substance;
(4) The history and current pattern of abuse;
(5) The scope, duration, and significance of abuse;
(6) The risk to the public health;
(7) The potential of the substance to produce psychic or physiological dependence liability; and
(8) Whether the substance is an immediate precursor of a substance already controlled under sections 195.005 to 195.425.
2. After considering the factors enumerated in subsection 1 of this section the department of health and senior services shall make findings with respect thereto and issue a rule controlling the substance if it finds the substance has a potential for abuse.
3. If the department of health and senior services designates a substance as an immediate precursor, substances which are precursors of the controlled precursor shall not be subject to control solely because they are precursors of the controlled precursor.
4. If any substance is designated, rescheduled, or deleted as a controlled substance under federal law and notice thereof is given to the department of health and senior services, the department of health and senior services shall similarly control the substance under sections 195.005 to 195.425 after the expiration of thirty days from publication in the federal register of a final order designating a substance as a controlled substance or rescheduling or deleting a substance, unless within that thirty-day period, the department of health and senior services objects to inclusion, rescheduling, or deletion. In that case, the department of health and senior services shall publish the reasons for objection and afford all interested parties an opportunity to be heard. At the conclusion of the hearing, the department of health and senior services shall publish its decision, which shall be final unless altered by statute. Upon publication of objection to inclusion, rescheduling or deletion under sections 195.005 to 195.425 by the department of health and senior services, control under sections 195.005 to 195.425 is stayed as to the substance in question until the department of health and senior services publishes its decision.
5. The department of health and senior services shall exclude any nonnarcotic substance from a schedule if such substance may, under the federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and the law of this state, be lawfully sold over the counter without a prescription.
6. The department of health and senior services shall prepare a list of all drugs falling within the purview of controlled substances. Upon preparation, a copy of the list shall be filed in the office of the secretary of state.
(L. 1971 H.B. 69, A.L. 1989 S.B. 215 & 58)
The headnotes, footnotes, annotations and index of the Missouri Revised Statutes, are used by permission of the Joint Committee on Legislative Research, the copyright holder.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.