2011 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXXVIII CRIMES AND PUNISHMENT; PEACE OFFICERS AND PUBLIC DEFENDERS
Chapter 568 Offenses Against the Family
Section 568.065. Genital mutilation of a female child, penalty--affirmative defenses.
Genital mutilation of a female child, penalty--affirmative defenses.
568.065. 1. A person commits the crime of genital mutilation if such person:
(1) Excises or infibulates, in whole or in part, the labia majora, labia minora, vulva or clitoris of a female child less than seventeen years of age; or
(2) Is a parent, guardian or other person legally responsible for a female child less than seventeen years of age and permits the excision or infibulation, in whole or in part, of the labia majora, labia minora, vulva or clitoris of such female child.
2. Genital mutilation is a class B felony.
3. Belief that the conduct described in subsection 1 of this section is required as a matter of custom, ritual or standard practice, or consent to the conduct by the child on whom it is performed or by the child's parent or legal guardian, shall not be an affirmative defense to a charge pursuant to this section.
4. It is an affirmative defense that the defendant engaged in the conduct charged which constitutes genital mutilation if the conduct was:
(1) Necessary to preserve the health of the child on whom it is performed and is performed by a person licensed to practice medicine in this state; or
(2) Performed on a child who is in labor or who has just given birth and is performed for medical purposes connected with such labor or birth by a person licensed to practice medicine in this state.
(L. 2000 S.B. 757 & 602)
Child molestation, first and second degree, 566.067, 566.068
Annotation Copyright Missouri Joint Committee on Legislative Research
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.