2011 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXVII DEBTOR-CREDITOR RELATIONS
Chapter 430 Statutory Liens Against Personalty--Preferred Claims
Section 430.225. Definitions--distribution of insurance proceeds--limitation on liability.
Definitions--distribution of insurance proceeds--limitation on liability.
430.225. 1. As used in sections 430.225 to 430.250, the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Claim", a claim of a patient for:
(a) Damages from a tort-feasor; or
(b) Benefits from an insurance carrier;
(2) "Clinic", a group practice of health practitioners or a sole practice of a health practitioner who has incorporated his or her practice;
(3) "Health practitioner", a chiropractor licensed pursuant to chapter 331, a podiatrist licensed pursuant to chapter 330, a dentist licensed pursuant to chapter 332, a physical therapist licensed under chapter 334, a physician or surgeon licensed pursuant to chapter 334, or an optometrist licensed pursuant to chapter 336, while acting within the scope of their practice;
(4) "Insurance carrier", any person, firm, corporation, association or aggregation of persons conducting an insurance business pursuant to chapter 375, 376, 377, 378, 379, 380, 381, or 383;
(5) "Other institution", a legal entity existing pursuant to the laws of this state which delivers treatment, care or maintenance to patients who are sick or injured;
(6) "Patient", any person to whom a health practitioner, hospital, clinic or other institution delivers treatment, care or maintenance for sickness or injury caused by a tort-feasor from whom such person seeks damages or any insurance carrier which has insured such tort-feasor.
2. Clinics, health practitioners and other institutions, as defined in this section, shall have the same rights granted to hospitals in sections 430.230 to 430.250.
3. If the liens of such health practitioners, hospitals, clinics or other institutions exceed fifty percent of the amount due the patient, every health care practitioner, hospital, clinic or other institution giving notice of its lien, as aforesaid, shall share in up to fifty percent of the net proceeds due the patient, in the proportion that each claim bears to the total amount of all other liens of health care practitioners, hospitals, clinics or other institutions. "Net proceeds", as used in this section, means the amount remaining after the payment of contractual attorney fees, if any, and other expenses of recovery.
4. In administering the lien of the health care provider, the insurance carrier may pay the amount due secured by the lien of the health care provider directly, if the claimant authorizes it and does not challenge the amount of the customary charges or that the treatment provided was for injuries caused by the tort-feasor.
5. Any health care provider electing to receive benefits hereunder releases the claimant from further liability on the cost of the services and treatment provided to that point in time.
(L. 1999 H.B. 343, A.L. 2003 H.B. 121, A.L. 2006 S.B. 1057)
Annotation Copyright Missouri Joint Committee on Legislative Research
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.