2011 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXVI TRADE AND COMMERCE
Chapter 407 Merchandising Practices
Section 407.642. Contract requirements, cancellation clause.
Contract requirements, cancellation clause.
407.642. 1. Each contract between the buyer and a credit services organization for the purchase of the services of the credit services organization must be in writing, dated, signed by the buyer and must include:
(1) A statement in type that is boldfaced, capitalized, underlined, or otherwise set out from surrounding written material so as to be conspicuous, in immediate proximity to the space reserved for the signature of the buyer, as follows: "YOU, THE BUYER, MAY CANCEL THIS CONTRACT AT ANY TIME BEFORE MIDNIGHT OF THE THIRD DAY AFTER THE DATE OF THE TRANSACTION. SEE THE ATTACHED NOTICE OF CANCELLATION FORM FOR AN EXPLANATION OF THIS RIGHT";
(2) The terms and conditions of payment, including the total of all payments to be made by the buyer, whether to the credit services organization or to another person;
(3) A full and detailed description of the services to be performed by the credit services organization for the buyer, including all guarantees and all promises of full or partial refunds, and the estimated length of time, not to exceed one hundred eighty days, for performing the services; and
(4) The address of the credit services organization's principal place of business and the name and address of its registered agent in the state authorized to receive service of process.
2. The contract must have attached two easily detachable copies of a notice of cancellation. The notice must be in boldfaced type and in the following form:
"NOTICE OF CANCELLATION YOU MAY CANCEL THIS CONTRACT, WITHOUT ANY PENALTY OR
OBLIGATION, WITHIN THREE DAYS AFTER THE DATE THE CONTRACT IS SIGNED. IF YOU CANCEL, ANY PAYMENT MADE BY YOU UNDER THIS CONTRACT WILL BE RETURNED WITHIN TEN DAYS AFTER THE DATE OF RECEIPT BY THE SELLER OF YOUR CANCELLATION NOTICE. TO CANCEL THIS CONTRACT, MAIL OR DELIVER A SIGNED DATED COPY OF THIS CANCELLATION NOTICE, OR OTHER WRITTEN NOTICE TO:
(NAME OF SELLER) AT (ADDRESS OF SELLER) (PLACE OF
BUSINESS) NOT LATER THAN MIDNIGHT (DATE). I HEREBY CANCEL THIS TRANSACTION.
BUYER'S SIGNATURE: ......................................."
3. The credit services organization shall give to the buyer a copy of the completed contract and all other documents the credit services organization requires the buyer to sign at the time they are signed.
4. The breach by a credit services organization of a contract under this section, or of any obligation arising from a contract under this section, is a violation of sections 407.635 to 407.644.
(L. 1991 S.B. 112 7)
Annotation Copyright Missouri Joint Committee on Legislative Research
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.