2011 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXVI TRADE AND COMMERCE
Chapter 407 Merchandising Practices
Section 407.1355. Social Security numbers, prohibited actions involving.
Social Security numbers, prohibited actions involving.
407.1355. 1. Except as provided in this section a person or entity, not including a state or local agency, shall not do any of the following:
(1) Publicly post or publicly display in any manner an individual's Social Security number. "Publicly post" or "publicly display" is defined in this section to intentionally communicate or otherwise make available to the general public or to an individual's co-workers;
(2) Require an individual to transmit his or her Social Security number over the Internet, unless the connection is secure or the Social Security number is encrypted;
(3) Require an individual to use his or her Social Security number to access an Internet website, unless a password, unique personal identification number, or other authentication device is also required to access the Internet website;
(4) Require an individual to use his or her Social Security number as an employee number for any type of employment-related activity.
2. The provisions of subsection 1 of this section apply only to the use of Social Security numbers on or after January 1, 2006.
3. This section does not prevent the collection, use, or release of a Social Security number as required by state or federal law or the use of a Social Security number for internal verification or administrative purposes.
4. This section does not apply to documents that are recorded or required to be open to the public pursuant to chapter 610. This section does not apply to records that are required by statute, case law, or Missouri court rules to be made available to the public.
5. If a federal law takes effect requiring the United States Department of Health and Human Services to establish a national unique patient health identifier program, any person or entity that complies with the federal law shall be deemed in compliance with this section.
(L. 2003 S.B. 61, A.L. 2005 H.B. 353)
Annotation Copyright Missouri Joint Committee on Legislative Research
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.