2011 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XXVI TRADE AND COMMERCE
Chapter 407 Merchandising Practices
Section 407.1025. Definitions.
407.1025. As used in sections 407.1025 to 407.1049, unless the context otherwise requires, the following terms mean:
(1) "Administrative hearing commission", the body established in chapter 621 to conduct administrative hearings;
(2) "All-terrain vehicle", any motorized vehicle manufactured and used exclusively for off-highway use which is fifty inches or less in width, with an unladen dry weight of six hundred pounds or less, traveling on three, four or more low pressure tires, with a seat designed to be straddled by the operator, and handlebars for steering control;
(3) "Coerce", to force a person to act in a given manner or to compel by pressure or threat but shall not be construed to include the following:
(a) Good faith recommendations, exposition, argument, persuasion or attempts at persuasion;
(b) Notice given in good faith to any franchisee of such franchisee's violation of terms or provisions of such franchise or contractual agreement;
(c) Any other conduct set forth in section 407.1043 as a defense to an action brought pursuant to sections 407.1025 to 407.1049; or
(d) Any other conduct set forth in sections 407.1025 to 407.1049 that is permitted of the franchisor or is expressly excluded from coercion or a violation of sections 407.1025 to 407.1049;
(4) "Franchise", a written arrangement or contract for a definite or indefinite period, in which a person grants to another person a license to use, or the right to grant to others a license to use, a trade name, trademark, service mark, or related characteristics, in which there is a community of interest in the marketing of goods or services, or both, at wholesale or retail, by agreement, lease or otherwise, and in which the operation of the franchisee's business with respect to such franchise is substantially reliant on the franchisor for the continued supply of franchised new motorcycles or all-terrain vehicles, parts and accessories for sale at wholesale or retail;
(5) "Franchisee", a person to whom a franchise is granted;
(6) "Franchisor", a person who grants a franchise to another person;
(7) "Motorcycle", a motor vehicle operated on two wheels;
(8) "New", when referring to motorcycles or all-terrain vehicles or parts, means those motorcycles or all-terrain vehicles or parts which have not been held except as inventory, as that term is defined in subdivision (4) of section 400.9-109;
(9) "Person", a sole proprietor, partnership, corporation, or any other form of business organization.
(L. 1998 H.B. 1055 1)
Annotation Copyright Missouri Joint Committee on Legislative Research
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.