2011 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE XIX MOTOR VEHICLES, WATERCRAFT AND AVIATION
Chapter 304 Traffic Regulations
Section 304.035. Stop required at railroad grade crossing, when--commercial motor vehicles, speed at crossings--penalty.
Stop required at railroad grade crossing, when--commercial motor vehicles, speed at crossings--penalty.
304.035. 1. When any person driving a vehicle approaches a railroad grade crossing, the driver of the vehicle shall operate the vehicle in a manner so he will be able to stop, and he shall stop the vehicle not less than fifteen feet and not more than fifty feet from the nearest rail of the railroad track and shall not proceed until he can safely do so if:
(1) A clearly visible electric or mechanical signal device warns of the approach of a railroad train; or
(2) A crossing gate is lowered or when a human flagman gives or continues to give a signal or warning of the approach or passage of a railroad train; or
(3) An approaching railroad train is visible and is in hazardous proximity to such crossing; or
(4) Any other traffic sign, device or any other act, rule, regulation or statute requires a vehicle to stop at a railroad grade crossing.
2. No person shall drive any vehicle through, around or under any crossing gate or barrier at a railroad crossing when a train is approaching while such gate or barrier is closed or is being opened or closed.
3. No person shall drive a vehicle through a railroad crossing when there is not sufficient space to drive completely through the crossing.
4. No person shall drive a vehicle through a railroad crossing unless such vehicle has sufficient undercarriage clearance necessary to prevent the undercarriage of the vehicle from contacting the railroad crossing.
5. Every commercial motor vehicle as defined in section 302.700 shall, upon approaching a railroad grade crossing, be driven at a rate of speed which will permit said commercial motor vehicle to be stopped before reaching the nearest rail of such crossing and shall not be driven upon or over such crossing until due caution has been taken to ascertain that the course is clear. This section does not apply to vehicles which are required to stop at railroad crossings pursuant to section 304.030.
6. Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a class C misdemeanor.
(L. 1977 H.B. 220 1, A.L. 1988 S.B. 676, A.L. 1992 S.B. 765, A.L. 2001 S.B. 244, A.L. 2004 S.B. 1233, et al.)
Annotation Copyright Missouri Joint Committee on Legislative Research
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.