2011 Missouri Revised Statutes
TITLE V MILITARY AFFAIRS AND POLICE
Chapter 41 Military Forces
Section 41.944. Certain military service, termination of lease--requirements.
Certain military service, termination of lease--requirements.
41.944. 1. Any member of the armed forces of the United States who is on active duty, and any member of the Missouri army or air national guard serving on full-time duty or as a civil service technician with a Missouri army or air national guard unit who is a tenant under a lease of a residential dwelling may, pursuant to subsection 2 of this section, terminate such lease with the member's lessor if the member:
(1) Receives permanent change of station orders transferring the member to another duty station;
(2) Receives temporary duty orders in excess of ninety days duration assigning the member to another location which is at least twenty-five miles from the site of the leased residential premises;
(3) Is discharged or released from active duty with the armed forces of the United States or from the member's full-time duty or technician status with the Missouri army or air national guard; or
(4) Is ordered to reside in government supplied quarters.
2. Lessees who qualify to terminate a residential lease agreement pursuant to subsection 1 of this section shall do so by serving the lessor written notice of termination to be effective on a date stated thereon, which shall not be less than fifteen days after the date of such service. Prior to the termination date, the lessee shall furnish the lessor with a copy of the official orders or a signed letter confirming the orders from the lessee's commanding officer.
3. The final lease payment due under the terminated lease shall be provided by the effective date of termination and shall be payable at such time as would have otherwise been required by the terms of the lease. The lessee shall be entitled to the full return of any security deposit and pet deposit, if any, if such member has otherwise complied with the requirements of the lease and of section 535.300.
(L. 1991 S.B. 358 2)
Annotation Copyright Missouri Joint Committee on Legislative Research
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.