2005 Missouri Revised Statutes - § 577.065. — All-terrain vehicle, accident involving--required information, report of law enforcement officer, when--exceptions--penalty.

577.065. 1. Whenever any all-terrain vehicle is involved in an accident resulting in loss of life, personal injury or damage to property and the operator thereof has knowledge of such accident, he shall stop and give his name and address, the name and address of the owner thereof and the registration number of the all-terrain vehicle to the injured person or the person sustaining the damage or to a police officer. In case no police officer nor the person sustaining the damage is present at the place where the damage occurred, then the operator shall immediately report the accident, as soon as he is physically able, to the nearest law enforcement agency.

2. A law enforcement officer who investigates or receives information of an accident involving an all-terrain vehicle and also involving the loss of life or serious physical injury, as defined in section 556.061, RSMo, shall make a written report of the investigation or information received, and such additional facts relating to the accident as may come to his knowledge, and mail the information to the department of public safety and keep a record thereof in his office.

3. This section does not apply when property damage is sustained in sanctioned all-terrain vehicle races, derbies and rallies.

4. Any person leaving the scene of an accident involving an all-terrain vehicle which results in a serious personal injury shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor, except that it shall be a class D felony if the accident resulted in death of another party or if defendant has previously pled guilty or been found guilty of a violation of this section.

(L. 1988 H.B. 990 4)

Effective 4-19-88

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.