2005 Missouri Revised Statutes - § 431.056. — Minor\'s ability to contract for certain purposes--conditions.

431.056. A minor shall be qualified and competent to contract for housing, employment, purchase of an automobile, receipt of a student loan, admission to high school or postsecondary school, obtaining medical care, establishing a bank account and admission to a shelter for victims of domestic violence, as defined in section 455.200, RSMo, or a homeless shelter if:

(1) The minor is sixteen or seventeen years of age; and

(2) The minor is homeless, as defined in subsection 1 of section 167.020, RSMo, or a victim of domestic violence, as defined in section 455.200, RSMo, unless the child is under the supervision of the children's division or the jurisdiction of the juvenile court; and

(3) The minor is self-supporting, such that the minor is without the physical or financial support of a parent or legal guardian; and

(4) The minor's parent or legal guardian has consented to the minor living independent of the parents' or guardians' control. Consent may be expressed or implied, such that:

(a) Expressed consent is any verbal or written statement made by the parents or guardian of the minor displaying approval or agreement that the minor may live independently of the parent's or guardian's control;

(b) Implied consent is any action made by the parent or guardian of the minor that indicates the parent or guardian is unwilling or unable to adequately care for the minor. Such actions may include, but are not limited to:

a. Barring the minor from the home or otherwise indicating that the minor is not welcome to stay;

b. Refusing to provide any or all financial support for the minor; or

c. Abusing or neglecting the minor, as defined in section 210.110, RSMo.

(L. 2000 S.B. 757 & 602, A.L. 2004 H.B. 1453)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Missouri may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.