Go to previous versions of this Section
2020 Mississippi Code
Title 87 - Contracts and Contractual Relations
Chapter 7 - Improvements to Real Property
§ 87-7-9. Contracts, subcontracts or purchase orders with provisions relating to real property improvement that make the contract subject to laws of another state or restrict forum for litigation, arbitration or dispute resolution to another state are void; applicability
Universal Citation: MS Code § 87-7-9 (2020)
- A provision in any contract, subcontract, or purchase order for the improvement of real property in this state, or to provide materials therefor, is void and against public policy if it makes the contract, subcontract, or purchase order subject to the laws of another state, or provides that the exclusive forum for any litigation, arbitration, or other dispute resolution process be located in another state.
- The provisions of this section apply only to contracts, agreements and purchase orders:
- Entered into on or after July 1, 2018;
- Only if at least one (1) of the parties is a Mississippi resident; and
- Only if entered into between any two (2) or more of the following persons and no others: the owner of the real property improved or to be improved, a contractor, subcontractor, materialman or design professional. As used in this section, "contractor", "subcontractor", "materialman" and "design professional" shall have the meanings ascribed in Section 85-7-401.
- For purposes of this section, "Mississippi resident" means any natural person domiciled in Mississippi or any business entity having a principal place of business in Mississippi.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.