2019 Mississippi Code
Title 63 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulations
Chapter 7 - Equipment and Identification
§ 63-7-13. Requirements as to lighting equipment
(1) Head lamps on motor vehicles. — Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least two (2) head lamps with at least one (1) on each side of the front of the motor vehicle, which head lamps shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in Section 63-7-31.
(2) Head lamps on motorcycles. — Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one (1) and not more than two (2) head lamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations set forth in Section 63-7-31.
(3) Rear lamps. — Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer and any other vehicle which is being drawn in a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one (1) rear lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred (500) feet to the rear. However, any antique automobile, as defined under Section 27-19-47, and any street rod, as defined under Section 27-19-56.6, may be equipped with one or more rear lamps that have been modified to emit a blue, violet or purple light resembling rear lamps appearing on some American automobiles originally manufactured in the 1940s and 1950s.
Either a rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly readable from a distance of fifty (50) feet to the rear. Any rear lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the head lamps, cowl lamps or fender lamps are lighted.
(4) Lamps on bicycles. — Every bicycle shall be equipped with a lighted white lamp on the front thereof visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of at least five hundred (500) feet in front of such bicycle and shall also be equipped with a reflex mirror reflector or lamp on the rear exhibiting a red light visible under like conditions from a distance of at least five hundred (500) feet to the rear of such bicycle.
(5) Lights on other vehicles. — All vehicles not required in this chapter to be equipped with special lighted lamps shall carry one or more lights, lamps or lanterns displaying a white light, visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred (500) feet to the front of such vehicle and shall display a reflex reflector or red light visible under like conditions from a distance of not less than three hundred (300) feet to the rear of such vehicle.