2017 Mississippi Code
Title 91 - Trusts and Estates
Chapter 23 - Revised Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act
§ 91-23-3. Definitions
- In this chapter the following terms shall have the meanings ascribed in this section, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
- (a) "Account" means an arrangement under a terms of service agreement in which a custodian carries, maintains, processes, receives or stores a digital asset of the user or provides goods or services to the user.
- (b) "Agent" means an attorney-in-fact granted authority under a durable or nondurable power of attorney.
- (c) "Carries" means engages in the transmission of an electronic communication.
- (d) "Catalogue of electronic communications" means information that identifies each person with which a user has had an electronic communication, the time and date of the communication and the electronic address of the person.
- (e) "Conservator" means a person appointed by a court to manage the estate of a living individual and includes a guardian appointed by a court to manage the estate of a living individual, and "conservatorship" includes guardianship of the estate of a living individual.
- (f) "Content of an electronic communication" means information concerning the substance or meaning of the communication which:
- (i) Has been sent or received by a user;
- (ii) Is in electronic storage by a custodian providing an electronic-communication service to the public or is carried or maintained by a custodian providing a remote computing service to the public; and
- (iii) Is not readily accessible to the public.
- (g) "Court" means the chancery court.
- (h) "Custodian" means a person that carries, maintains, processes, receives or stores a digital asset of a user.
- (i) "Designated recipient" means a person chosen by a user using an online tool to administer digital assets of the user.
- (j) "Digital asset" means an electronic record in which an individual has a right or interest. The term does not include an underlying asset or liability unless the asset or liability is itself an electronic record.
- (k) "Electronic" means relating to technology having electrical, digital, magnetic, wireless, optical, electromagnetic or similar capabilities.
- (l) "Electronic communication" has the meaning set forth in 18 USC Section 2510(12).
- (m) "Electronic-communication service" means a custodian that provides to a user the ability to send or receive an electronic communication.
- (n) "Fiduciary" means an original, additional, or successor personal representative, conservator, agent or trustee.
- (o) "Information" means data, text, images, videos, sounds, codes, computer programs, software, databases or the like.
- (p) "Online tool" means an electronic service provided by a custodian that allows the user, in an agreement distinct from the terms-of-service agreement between the custodian and user, to provide directions for disclosure or nondisclosure of digital assets to a third person.
- (q) "Person" means an individual, estate, business or nonprofit entity, public corporation, government or governmental subdivision, agency or instrumentality, or other legal entity.
- (r) "Personal representative" means an executor, administrator, special administrator or person that performs substantially the same function under law of this state other than this chapter.
- (s) "Power of attorney" means a record that grants an agent authority to act in the place of a principal.
- (t) "Principal" means an individual who grants authority to an agent in a power of attorney.
- (u) "Protected person" means a ward or other individual for whom a conservator has been appointed and includes an individual for whom an application for the appointment of a conservator is pending.
- (v) "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
- (w) "Remote-computing service" means a custodian that provides to a user computer processing services or the storage of digital assets by means of an electronic communications system, as defined in 18 USC Section 2510(14).
- (x) "Terms-of-service agreement" means an agreement that controls the relationship between a user and a custodian.
- (y) "Trustee" means a fiduciary with legal title to property under an agreement or declaration that creates a beneficial interest in another. The term also includes a successor trustee.
- (z) "User" means a person that has an account with a custodian.
- (aa) "Will" includes a codicil, testamentary instrument that only appoints an executor and an instrument that revokes or revises a testamentary instrument.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.