2017 Mississippi Code
Title 49 - Conservation and Ecology
Chapter 15 - Seafood
Article 1 - General Provisions
§ 49-15-84.1. Closed season for use of crab traps; removal of abandoned traps
- (1) The commission may establish a closed season for the use of crab traps in the public waters of this state. The commission may designate the closed season as not less than ten (10) days nor more than thirty (30) days per year. Any crab trap remaining in the public waters after the expiration to the seventh day of a closed season may be considered as abandoned under the regulations established by the commission.
- (2) The commission shall adopt rules to govern the removal and disposal of abandoned crab traps as necessary to enhance:
- (a) The conservation and management of crab resources;
- (b) Boating safety;
- (c) The cleanliness of the beds and bottoms of the public waters of the state; and
- (d) Enforcement of this chapter.
- (3) Abandoned crab traps are litter and are subject to immediate removal and disposal.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.