2017 Mississippi Code
Title 47 - Prisons and Prisoners; Probation and Parole
Chapter 5 - Correctional System
Special Needs Prison Program of 1994
§ 47-5-1121. Nondelegable responsibilities
- No contract for private correctional facilities or services shall authorize, allow, or imply a delegation of the authority or responsibility of the state to a prison contractor to:
- (a) Classify inmates or place inmates in less restrictive custody or more restrictive custody;
- (b) Transfer an inmate, although the contractor may recommend in writing that the department transfer a particular inmate;
- (c) Grant, deny, or revoke sentence credits;
- (d) Recommend that the parole board either deny or grant parole, although the contractor may submit written reports that have been prepared in the ordinary course of business;
- (e) Develop and implement procedures for calculating sentence credits or inmate release and parole eligibility dates;
- (f) Require an inmate to work, except on department-approved projects; approve the type of work that inmates may perform; or award or withhold wages or sentence credits based on the manner in which individual inmates perform such work; or
- (g) Determine inmate eligibility for furlough and work release.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.