2017 Mississippi Code
Title 47 - Prisons and Prisoners; Probation and Parole
Chapter 5 - Correctional System
Special Needs Prison Program of 1994
§ 47-5-1105. Contracts for special needs facilities and services; eligibility of inmate for special needs facility; rates and benefits standards
- (1) The commissioner is authorized to enter into contracts for a special needs correctional facility and services only as provided in Sections 47-5-1101 through 47-5-1123.
- (2) No contract shall be entered into unless it offers cost savings of at least ten percent (10%) to the department.
- (3) Any inmate sentenced to the custody of the department identified as having a special need may be eligible to be incarcerated in a special needs correctional facility in which a contractor is providing correctional services.
- (4) The rates and benefits for correctional services shall be negotiated by the commissioner based upon American Correction Association Standards, state law and court orders.
- (5) The special needs facility or the site for a proposed facility must comply with all local zoning ordinances and regulations.
- (6) The department may contract for the construction or leasing of a special needs facility. Any facility operated by a private contractor must house medium or maximum security inmates.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.