2016 Mississippi Code
Title 19 - Counties and County Officers
Chapter 29 - Local and Regional Railroad Authorities
§ 19-29-18. Ad valorem tax for acquisition and maintenance of railroad properties
(1) The governing body of a county railroad authority or regional railroad authority, as the case may be, may file a petition with the board of supervisors of any county included in the railroad authority, specifying for each such county, the rate of the ad valorem tax, not to exceed two (2) mills, to be levied by such county on the taxable property therein, for acquisition and maintenance of railroad properties and facilities, and to defray operating expenses of the railroad authority and any other expenses authorized to be incurred by the railroad authority. Prior to levying the tax specified by the railroad authority, the board of supervisors of each such county shall publish notice of its intention to levy same. The notice shall be published once each week for three (3) weeks in some newspaper having a general circulation in the county, but not less than twenty-one (21) days, nor more than sixty (60) days, intervening between the time of the first notice and the meeting at which said board proposes to levy the tax. If, within the time of giving notice, twenty percent (20%) or one thousand five hundred (1,500) of the qualified electors of the county, whichever is less, shall file a written protest against the levy of the tax, then the tax shall not be levied unless authorized by three-fifths (3/5) of the qualified electors of such county, voting at an election to be called and held for that purpose. If the tax levy fails to be authorized at an election held in a county included in the regional authority, then such tax levy shall not be made in any of the counties included in such regional authority.
(2) The avails of the ad valorem tax levied under authority of this section shall be paid by the county board of supervisors to the governing body of the railroad authority to be used as herein authorized.
(3) For any fiscal year after the initial levy of the tax, the board of supervisors levying same shall levy such tax at a millage rate which will produce an amount of revenue which approximates, but does not exceed, the amount of revenue produced from the levy for the preceding fiscal year. The county board of supervisors shall not increase the millage rate for the purposes authorized herein unless notice thereof is published and an election held, if required, in the manner set forth in subsection (1) of this section.
(4) Each railroad authority shall be subject to examination by the State Auditor.
(5) The tax levy authorized in this section shall not be included in the ten percent (10%) limitation on increases under Sections 27-39-320 or 27-39-321.
(6) The tax levy authorized in this section shall not be reimbursable under the provisions of the Homestead Exemption Law.
(7) A railroad authority created under Section 19-29-7(2) must receive the approval of the governing authorities of the municipality and the county creating such authority before levying any tax under this section.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.