2016 Mississippi Code
Title 17 - Local Government; Provisions Common to Counties and Municipalities
Chapter 11 - Gulf Regional District Law
§ 17-11-57. Appeals

MS Code § 17-11-57 (2016) What's This?

Any person aggrieved by a judgment or decision of the governing body of the district or of an associated county or city involved in an approved project, may appeal therefrom within ten days from the date thereof to the chancery court of any county within the district having jurisdiction of the subject matter, and may embody the facts, judgment and decision in a bill of exceptions which shall be signed by the persons acting as chairman or the presiding officer of the county or city or the governing body of the district. The executive director of the district or the clerk of such county or city shall transmit the bill of exceptions to the chancery court at once and the court shall either in term time or vacation hear and determine the same on the case as presented by the bill of exceptions as an appellate court, and shall affirm or reverse the judgment. If the judgment be reversed, the chancery court shall render such judgment as should have been rendered, and certify the same to the district or county or city, and costs shall be awarded as in other cases. The district or any associated member thereof may employ counsel to defend such appeals or defend or prosecute any suit, to be paid out of the funds of the district or such county or city. Any such appeal may be heard and determined in vacation in the discretion of the court on motion of any party and written notice for ten days to the other party or parties or the attorney of record, and the hearing of same shall be held in the county where the suit is pending, unless the judge in his order shall otherwise direct.

No appeals shall be taken from any order relating to or authorizing the issuance of bonds; these matters shall be heard in the manner provided by Section 17-11-51.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.