2015 Mississippi Code
Title 79 - CORPORATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS, AND PARTNERSHIPS
Chapter 11 - NONPROFIT, NONSHARE CORPORATIONS AND RELIGIOUS SOCIETIES
MISSISSIPPI NONPROFIT CORPORATION ACT
§ 79-11-157 - Corporate name
(1) A corporate name may not contain language stating or implying that the corporation is organized for a purpose other than that permitted by Section 79-11-149 and its articles of incorporation.
(2) Except as authorized by subsections (3) and (4), a corporate name must be distinguishable upon the records of the Secretary of State from:
(a) The corporate name of a nonprofit or business corporation incorporated or authorized to do business in this state;
(b) A corporate name reserved or registered under Sections 79-11-159, 79-11-161, 79-4-4.02 or 79-4-4.03; or
(c) The fictitious name of a foreign business or nonprofit corporation authorized to transact business in this state because its real name is unavailable.
(3) A corporation may apply to the Secretary of State for authorization to use a name that is not distinguishable upon the Secretary of State's records from one or more of the names described in subsection (2). The Secretary of State shall authorize use of the name applied for if:
(a) The other corporation consents to the use in writing and submits an undertaking in form satisfactory to the Secretary of State to change its name to a name that is distinguishable upon the records of the Secretary of State from the name of the applying corporation; or
(b) The applicant delivers to the Secretary of State a certified copy of a final judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction establishing the applicant's right to use the name applied for in this state.
(4) A corporation may use the name, including the fictitious name, of another domestic or foreign business or nonprofit corporation that is used in this state if the other corporation is incorporated or authorized to do business in this state and the proposed user corporation:
(a) Has merged with the other corporation;
(b) Has been formed by reorganization of the other corporation; or
(c) Has acquired all or substantially all of the assets, including the corporate name, of the other corporation.
(5) Section 79-11-101 et seq. do not control the use of fictitious names.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Mississippi may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.